[ct-user] Dual Boot WindowsXP and FreeDOS - Alpha testers needed

Mark Bailey kd4d at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 20:44:51 EST 2006

Good day, all:

I am working on the next version of a procedure to add
FreeDOS or MS-DOS to almost any WindowsXP computer in
a dual-boot configuration and WITHOUT destroying the
WindowsXP installation.  When the computer boots,
you can select either WindowsXP or FreeDOS/MS-DOS.

I use this to run TR-Log on my work laptop, in "real"
DOS, and also to run it on all of my other computers.
It also works to run the DOS version of CT on virtually
any new computer.

I'm using open source Linux tools to shrink the WindowsXP
NTFS partition.  I would like a couple of volunteers to
test the Version 2.0 Alpha procedure and provide
suggestions and corrections.

You should be comfortable with DOS commands and rebooting
your computer.  You do NOT need any Linux experience.

You will need a WindowsXP computer you would like to also
have FreeDOS or MS-DOS installed on, a backup of any
critical data you have on that computer, a high-speed
internet link, and a CD burner.  A floppy disk drive
will make this easier, but is not necessary.

If you would like to dual-boot a new computer with FreeDOS
or MS-DOS, and want to help test this, please send me an
e-mail and I'll send you the current draft of the
procedure.  After a few volunteers run through it, I'll
get the updated procedure posted on the web somewhere.

Thanks.

Mark Bailey