[ct-user] LAPTOP SCREEN

k4pi k4pi at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 9 15:23:17 EST 2007

I am posting this message from N7FLT which originally came from W5OV. Thanks
to both as this corrected my problems.  I found my desktop had the same
problem.  I had a few differences in my setup which I added to the
procedure.

N7FLT writes:   I had the same problem about a year ago.  I found a post in
the CT archives by Bob Naumann - W50V - that solved the problem for me.  I
found one post, I'm not sure it is all that transpired in  regard to the
problem but here it is:
 (you might still want to search the CT archives and see if there was
anything else about this subject)  :-)

 Use a shortcut to start up CTWIN.  The only place you should take changes
is in the shortcut file.

 Right click on CTWIN.EXE and click Create Shortcut.

 This will create "Shortcut to ctwin.exe".  Right click on "Shortcut to
ctwin.exe" and then click properties.

 To run 50 line mode, append -VGA to the Target: field after the last quote
so it looks like this:

"C:\Program Files\K1EA Software\CtWin\ctwin.exe" -VGA

 Change Run: to Maximized.

 Click on the Layout Tab.

 The Screen buffer size, and Window size should both be set to Width 80 and
 Height 50.

 Now, click on the Font tab.

If it only shows Raster Fonts, select the biggest one - which in my case is
10x18.  This should look pretty good on the screen.
 *** FROM K4PI...  I had to use 8X12 selection as I am using 800 X 600***

Click on OK at the bottom.

 Double click on "Shortcut to ctwin.exe" and it will start CTWIN in VGA mode
in an 80 x 50 window.

 The CTWIN window may not fill the whole screen, but it should be better
than what you've been seeing.

 Notes:

If you also have the Lucida Console Fonts installed (or others), you can
play with them and see which one looks best.  On mine, 18 is pretty good. My
overall screen resolution is 1280 x 1024.  If yours is different, you may
need to use smaller or larger fonts.

 If you want to run in normal 25 line mode (that is, not -VGA or 50 line
mode) then change the Screen buffer and Window size to Width 80 and Height
25.  The Lucida font in size 26 looks good on my screen in this mode.
Depending on the screen resolution you are running a different size font may
be better.

 I prefer -VGA mode so I can open lots of windows and see everything at
once.

 73, Bob W5OV