[ct-user] Keyboard Overlays

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Tue Dec 2 23:07:59 EST 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 10:43 PM, Brad Anbro wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know if anyone other than W7NN sells
> keyboard overlays for CT?

Years ago you could buy "blank" overlays of stiff plastic and write
whatever you wanted on them.  I used to keep a half dozen on hand, one
for each of my most-used applications.

But for the past ten years or so for CT I've used individual Avery
labels above the F-keys on my venerable KeyTronics keyboard (full-size
F-keys).  I use #05428 (S1216) in portrait orientation — one above
each F-key, with up to four lines of info.  For instance, above the F1
key I have written (from top to bottom) "MODE DN", "BAND DN", "SET
CQ", and "LONG CQ".  Above the ESC key I mark one with "CTRL", "ALT",
"SHIFT", and " — " as a reminder.  I duplicate that one over on the
right, above the SCROLL LOCK key.

I also slit one label in half (vertically) and mark it "LOG + TU".  I
stick it on the "+" key to the right of the numeric key pad.

Yeah, the labels dry out and fall off every now and then, but the Mean
Time to Failure is measured in years.  Pretty low tech, but at the
rate I have to replace individual labels, I probably have four
centuries of them left....

Bud, W2RU.