[Fourlanders] EME Tower For Sale

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 31 18:38:16 EDT 2003

I received a letter in the USPS mail today from Ruddy Ellis, W4LNG.  The
text of the letter is as follows:

Several year ago, my friends at Georgia Power Co. designed for me a 17 ft.
tall, four legged, heavy duty tower using surplus Georgia Power transmission
line tower parts of galvanized steel.  I have decided that I am too old to
undertake as big a project as this tower.

The four 17 ft. legs are 2 1/2" by 3" by 1/4"thick angles.  There are
numerous diagonal braces.  The base consists of two 6" by 6" by 1/4" angles
held to the concrete base by four 1" diameter by 24" long "J" bolts.

As designed by Georgia Power, the concrete base has two steps.  The bottom
step would be 12" thick by 72" square.  The top step would be 18" thick by
32" by 38".  The "J" bolts should be welded into a rebar cage inside the
concrete.  The tower is designed to withstand a 1,000 lb wind load.  A
typical ham EME antenna wouldn't need this large of a concrete base, but it
probably doesn't cost much more to go all out!

The parts are all at my Lake Lanier QTH in Flowery Branch, GA.  I am asking
just $175, but the buyer will have to bring a truck and it will take two men
to even pickup one of the legs or the base angles.

There you go guys.  A really serious tower for like the biggest EME antenna
you could probably ever imagine building.  I am tempted myself but I have no
idea were I would store it.  You can contact Ruddy by calling him at
404-237-6757.  He has no email.  I am just posting this on the SVHFS and
Fourlanders reflectors at the moment to give the locals first chance.  I
will post it on the wider coverage VHF reflectors in a week so if you want
this thing call Ruddy now!

73
Jim W4KXY