[Fourlanders] June Contest

Bob Lear k4sz at alltel.net
Thu Apr 15 00:20:58 EDT 2004

Gentlemen, we need to start getting serious about the contest.  It is
now only 2 months!!!!!!!!

We had a meeting after the Kennehoochee Hamfest and those present voted
to railroad the old slate of officers and directors again.  Further
details in the meeting minutes forthcoming from NX9O, but I needed to do
some prodding and such to see what we can get going.  We did vote to try
to do June and September, limited or multi as personnel are available.

What we have so far for June are band captains:
6m Neal K4EA
2m Dick K5AND
222 Brian NX9O
432 Jim W4KXY
micro Bob K4SZ

Operators that we expect for June:  Robin KB4IDC, Paul W4SKI, Kim WG8S,
Sean KF4NRC, and Terry KE4PJW.  Kim is coming from Huntsville and won't
be there for set-up, but has already come once and is an experienced
contester and now also familiar with our gear.  Sean and Terry are
Robins friends who now have experience with our equipment and
computers.  They are coming from Nashivlle and probably won't be
available for set-up either.  Robin will come with his trailer for
set-up so we will have him.  This is a slim set-up crew and not exactly
enough ops for a real multi, in my opinion.  If Bert is around, he will
also join us, but probably only to operate.

We need to get some more folks out there with us to make this group
viable.  Does anyone have any suggestions (or more friends?)

Robin is making reservations at the campground as usual.  We talked
tonight on the phone.  I don't remember any earlier discussion about
reservations.  If they are already made, then OK.

Robins friend Fred KF4QZN, will also come by and bring a 15kW diesel
generator for us to use.  Fred is going to 'first-time' rove around our
area (probably only the money bands) and might camp and eat with us too.
It will be interesting to experiment with the generator to help us
decide the power levels we do require.  I say lets bring all our usual
back-ups for Murphy's sake and try to put the three station trailer on
the 15kW and the two station trailer on Brians generator.  That is just
my suggestion for now.  Any other opinions will be entertained (and
promptly disposed of!)  We will have to get the connection details
ironed out, but we have time.  Fred, if you are on here, let us know how
to hook up to your generator.

We did make arrangements to purchase two HB 5 el ~17' boom 6m beams from
Dick to start using for 6m.  We will need a mast also.  Acquisition is
in the works.  Dick is also building two HB 9 el ~17' boom 2m beams to
try out on the 2m station this time.  We will be tuning and tweaking on
both 6 and 2 on Saturday at Dicks.

The only other decision we made at the meeting was to stick to wired
networking since we have no problems and don't know what would happen
trying to use wireless when we have microwave stuff (or low bands high
power for that matter).  W4KXY will acquire a 100' shielded CAT5 cable
to go between the two trailers as that's the only outside cable we even
need with the current two trailer set-up.

Neal is supposed to test his rig, transverter and amp on his generator
at home to make sure he has solved the interference, interaction, or
whatever the distortion/splatter problem is.

222 and 432 will be tested at K4SZ's qth sometime before the contest,
but we haven't had any problems or issues with that gear anyway other
than not getting full power on a generator.

Dick has the 2m station under control also.

Equipment-wise, everything looks OK.  I will give a microwave status
report later, but also hoping we'll get some more folks for set-up,
tear-down and operating time.

The floor is open for discussion and opinions about anything to do with
the contest plans.

Your smiling VP is looking forward to hearing from you!!!!

73 Bob