[Fourlanders] Rover tower

Brian McCarthy rfacres at akorn.net
Thu Feb 5 20:38:30 EST 2004

Fred,

While that is very interesting, I believe the ultimate mobile rover
tower is the 34 meter tall AB-1309. These sometimes come up for sale on
the surplus market or used third party. For an example of one that can
be rented see: http://www.mobileleasingco.com/catalog/ab1309.htm or for
one to buy, see:  http://www.warrelicsshop.com/sys-tmpl/door/

The AB-1309 in full military trim came with at least one (usually two)
10KW diesel generators and three AZ/EL mounts at the tower top with
approximately 36" dishes on each of the three mounts. With the right RF
hardware, this would be the ultimate VHF through Microwave transportable
tower. Since the complete trailer is right near the maximum load that
can be towed by a 1-ton diesel pickup, there is not much payload left
for the radio gear.

The last one I saw listed for "reasonable" sale was asking $10-12K. Or
here is one listed at $28K http://www.icsinternet.com/icst/towers.htm --
Oh well...

Your link is also an interesting piece of hardware. Like the AB-1309, it
is really too much to deal with for a rover pair or even a small group.
A small army or a large platoon is another matter!

Cheers,
Brian
NX9O