[Fourlanders] Repeaters for trip

KB4IDC KB4IDC at Comcast.net
Thu Jun 10 13:27:11 EDT 2004

Here is Paul's response when I asked the same question last time...ya'll
choose and let me know.

Utah Mtn. repeater at 147.39+. 91.5 PL.

A few suggestions for the Mile High end of the trip:

Franklin - Cowee Mtn. 145.49 -
Franklin - Wayah Bald 147.24 + 151.4 PL

Waynesville - Utah Mtn 147.39 + 91.5 PL

Mt. Mitchell 145.19 -

All of these should be workable from Mile High.

The two Franklin machines should be workable from a mobile, starting around
the Dillard, GA area, and on into Waynesville. Not sure which one has the
best coverage down towards GA, but I think that 147.24 has slightly better
coverage in the Waynesville area. Both Franklin machines will fade as you
head towards Maggie Valley from Waynesville. I have not tried these
machines on the route from Tennessee on I40.

The Utah Mtn. machine near Waynesville has pretty good coverage in the
Waynesville - Maggie Valley area. Approaching from Franklin on US 23/74,
decent coverage begins when you cross into Haywood County, near where you
pass under the Blue Ridge Parkway. Approaching from Tennessee on I40,
decent coverage should begin around exit 15.

The Mt. Mitchell machine will become workable for those approaching from
Franklin on US 23/74 in about the same spot as the Utah Mtn. machine -
passing under the Blue Ridge Parkway near the county line. For those
approaching from Tennessee, it might be workable from somewhere east of
Knoxville to a few miles west of the Pigeon River Gorge. Coverage should
resume in NC somewhere around Mile 18 - 20 on I40