[Fourlanders] TS-790A Problem

Shane Autrey iam4thapack at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 08:28:39 EDT 2005

  I just picked up a TS-790a used. It only has 144/440
mhz units installed. The problem is as follows:

  When you are in the main receiver section the SSB
audio on the received side drops out or becomes
severely "garbled" after 10-15 seconds. It does this
on both 144 and 432 mhz. I have already done a main
cpu reset 2 times and it hasn't fixed the problem.

  The only way you can keep the SSB RX (in the main
receiver) is to hit the sub button so that when you
tune the vfo the tuning is actually taking place in
the second receiver (sub band on face). The received
audio on the main receiver in ssb is just fine when it
is set up this way. This makes it impossible to tune
the band you are working beacause when you switch the
VFO tuning back to the main band and change the
frequency the SSB received audio does as stated above.
Any movement of the VFO knob to change frequency on
the main receiver automatically does this. Is the VFO
loosing lock for some reason?
   I have taken the rig completely appart
and checked all connections and found all to be of
good integrity. Any and all help you could provide
would be greatly appreciated. Best 73 to all on group

Shane KI4M