[Fourlanders] contest update

Bob Lear k4sz at alltel.net
Tue May 31 01:11:47 EDT 2005

Well, I am later than I meant to be in getting this contest update out
to everyone, but I think everything is going along nicely so far and not
too many problems.  Here are the plans as I have been informed.

6m band captain is Neal K4EA.  Haven't heard anything else lately from
Neal, but last time everything was a go.  Neal, do you need anything
from anyone else?  Please let me know and also send me your new phone
number as all I have now is yhour e-mail.  Neal will provide a station
consisting of an FT1000MP, DEMI transverter, his 4CX1600 amp and all the
usual accessories including a Yaesu Rotator.  K4SZ will furnish a 150'
run of 1/2 inch hardline for the 6m station.  The 4-L's own the two 6m
antennas that Neal will use.  Let us know of anything else needed.
Neal, I need you to pull the green tower trailer up to the mountain.
Get in touch with me about it.

Last I heard, Kim WG8S is coming from Huntsville and will be a back-up
6m operator.

2m band captain is Dick K5AND.  Dick is supplying an FT 897 and Lunar
Link amp for the 2m station along with all the neccessities.  He has
picked up one of the lap-top computers also.  He has the stacked pair of
2m antennas of his along with his tower trailer, rotator and feedline
ready.  Should be no other isssues with the 2m station.

Dick has commandeered Sherman W4ATL as his back-up 2m operator.

222 station.  Band Captain Brian NX9O is supplying his K2, DEMI
transverter, Lunar Link Amp, computer and accessories for the station.
He is also bringing the time and server computer.  Not sure which
antennas he'll be using, but he has several choices.  We sold the two
4-L KLM 220 antennas at Dayton and purchased a Yaesu rotator.  Brian
will supply antennas from his personal stock for this contest.  He has
feedline and will use K4SZ's green tower trailer.

Ivan K4VJM will be a 222 back-up operator.

The 432 band captain is Ron WW8RR.  Ron is bringing an IC475 and HB amp
that he has used extensively for contesting with W9ICE.  He has picked
up a logging laptop and interconnecting cables from K4SZ.  K4SZ will
also bring the 4-L's 432 antennas, power divider, rotator, feed line etc
for the 432 station.  The antennas will go on one of the towers on the
red double tower trailer.

Jim's back up op is his son Jim WE8W coming from Bowling Green KY.
Jim and Ron were first with us last June on the mountain.  There may be
one or two other of their friends from the W9ICE group who may join us
and help with operating on 432 and other bands.

Speaking of Bowling Green, our very good friend Fred N4GER (was KF4QZN)
is coming and bringing his new diesel generator for the effort.  Fred
has a great distibution system also for connecting everything up.  He
may stay and operate with us or he may go out and rove from the site.
Fred, will you be bringing a tank of Diesel Fuel and let us pay you back
like last year?

Also coming will be NX9O's generator and K4SZ's generator for back-up.

Microwave station:  K4SZ is working hard to bring 903 thru 10GHz.  Will
use one of the towers on the double tower trailer as usual.  Jim W4KXY
is back-up op for microwave and if Steve K4RF makes it, we hope he will
be also.  Steve, if you do come, bring the 10GHz GunnPlexers and we'll
use them for a Q!!

Operating trailers:  Brian is bringing his 20' for the 6m, 2m and 222
stations.  K4SZ has borrowed a 14' cargo trailer from a local ham for
the 432 and microwave stations since Robin can't come for this contest.
Ivan had offered to pull the borrowed trailer up and back and in case he
is held up too long on Friday morning, I have secured a second puller in
Mac K4RBM as a back-up.  Thanks to them both.

Food for this year.  We have heard from Paul and he won't be able to be
our cook, but may come to visit and operate for a short time.
We will have a Gas grill, a two-burner coleman stove, a microwave and a
Bunn coffee maker available for everyone to use.  Bring you own food and
drink for the weekend.  There has been talk about bringing a pre-cooked
meal for Friday evening where we would all just pay a share to cover the
cost.  The suggestion was a smoked turkey and fixins like slaw, beans
and rice, etc.  Let me know if you'd like to do this and we'll see if we
can put it together.  Do this soon so that we can plan and let everyone
know and if there aren't enough takers then everyone will have time to
plan to bring their own friday night meal also.

If I've forgotten anything please let me know ASAP and we'll get the
word out.

I know there are other folks planning to visit and maybe stay to
operate, including George W4BUW, but I can't remember everyone I've
talked to.  Of course, all are welcome.  If you are coming and I haven't
mentioned you in this note, please let me know ASAP.

The spaces have been reserved at Mile High Campground for the weekend.
As most of you know, many of us just sleep in our SUV's, but there is
plenty of room to put up tents for camping and plenty of room for
parking and RV's if anyone has them.  Last fall, Ivan slept in the
operating trailer after we shut down for the night and that may be an
option this time too.  There are a couple of cabins down near the
entrance that are available.  Only a door and an army cot is the best
description of them.  Real cheap, but I don't remember how much.

On another note, the Fourlanders helped host the hospitality suite at
teh SVHFS conference.  We hung the banner and picture poster for
publicity.  It really went over well.  I don't know how many we may have
recruited, but the hospitality suite was as popular at the conference
itself.  Thanks to all who voted to ante up to help at the last
meeting.  Only a couple still need to settle up with K4SZ.  Special
thanks to Dick K5AND for his most generous contribution to the
hospitality suite effort.

I will send the driving directions with the next update, this one has
become long enough.  Thanks to all for the excellent preparations and
turn-out for this June contest.  Again, if I've forgotten anything,
please let me know.  If anyone needs any equipment to be brought please
let us know that also.

73 and looking forward to the contest, Bob K4SZ