[Fourlanders] Contest Computer RFI

Neal Sulmeyer k4ea at contesting.com
Tue Oct 11 09:28:59 EDT 2005

I have been using writelog at home for many years in a multi-op environment.
I have also used it at K4RF in VHF and hf contesting over the years.  I
cannot recall at any time having connection issues as we have had at mile
high.  The only difference has been the number of computers on the network.

This leads me to two possible causes. First, RF is somehow causing the
problem.  Second, network collisions are overwhelming the links (thanks
Jeff).

During the last contest when we were having so much trouble, I could not
find any correlation between the 6M station and disconnects.  It did not
matter which way the antenna was pointed, and the connection was lost
several time while 6m was not even active!

I cannot see how any test that Brian conducts can duplicate the environment
on the mountain.

I think for the next contest we should use switches instead of hubs. This
will be a good thing to do even if it does not solve the problem.  At a
minimum it will eliminate that possibility.  Secondly, we should use Cat6
cable where ever possible.  Finally, ground everything, including the
computers (hopefully they have metal cases).

Neal Sulmeyer, K4EA