[Fourlanders] Cat-5 Cable question

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 4 03:30:41 EST 2006

OK, the consensus seems to be that in general switches are better than hubs
so I will go to Microcenter next week and see if I can get two of the $15
linksys model that is on sale.  Even if this and fixing the Windows XP
firewall problem makes the network more stable I would still like to see us
minimise the potential for RFI.  Shielded CAT5 is good. I tried to find some
a while back but was never able to find anything less that 1000' spools for
between two and three hundred dollars.  If Ron can find some for a
reasonable price then lets go for it.  Even if we use shielded CAT5 we
should also find some clamp on ferrite beads or toroids to put on each end
of the cable to prevent conduction along the shield.

  _____