[Fourlanders] adjusting takeoff angle

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 13 03:01:48 EDT 2007

Personally, I would like the ability to select upper, lower or both beams.
While not optimal it is relatively simple to do with a few good RF relays
and is very commonly done in HF contest stations.  Adjusting the phase
between the antennas IS NOT going to be trivial.  I did that kind of stuff
with phased array antennas in a previous life.  We used ferrite type phase
shifters but that isn't going to be practical at 50 MHz.  Alternatively, we
could could use an IQ arrangement and vary the phase by controlling the
relative amplitude of the I and Q components.  As I said before, not
trivial.  I suggest we try the single yagi mounted at an angle as an
experiment in September if you guys want to.  It sounds like Paul has a
beam.  We just need someway to mount it at an angle and rotate it.  With
some of the mechanical gurus we have in the group we should be able to come
up with a way to do that.  Alternatively, I can talk to Bob and see if he
thinks he will have time to work with me between now and September on
putting together a switch box for the upper, lower or both beams approach.
I am certain I can come up with a design.  I will need help locating the
relays and getting it all in a waterproof box that can be mounted on the
mast.