[Fourlanders] adjusting takeoff angle

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 16 19:16:41 EDT 2007

I went by HRO today and picked up a copy of the March/April issue of NCJ.
It is a special issue on 6 meter contesting and it has some very good stuff
in it.  For some further information go to this website
www.arraysolutions.com and check out the stackmatch II.  Pay particular
attention to the BIP (Both in phase) and BOP (Both out of phase) functions.
To summarize, they claim that feeding both beams out of phase by 180 degrees
raises the main lobe of the radiation pattern by approx. 15 degrees while
reducing the gain by only 1 dB.  They also claim that this is very effective
on 6 meters.  The cost of this gadget is around $300 - $400 depending on
options.  We could probably build something that does the same thing for
less for at least experimental purposes.  It would require two DPDT RF
relays capable of handling 750 Watts and a half wavelength of coax.  It just
so happens that I have such a relay that I bought to use as a TR relay for
my 432 amplifier.  I would be willing to temporarily donate it for
experimental purposes in September if someone can help me come up with the
coax and a waterproof container to put it all in.  We will also need some 2
conductor cable and a small power supply and switch in the shack to energize
the relay with to switch the phasing line in.  I will talk to Bob when he
returns from Anguile to see if he can work with me on this.