[Fourlanders] K8GP

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 27 02:58:53 EDT 2007

My guess is that in addition to the rotatable array they have several beams
pointing in fixed directions at centers of activity.  That way they do not
have to rotate the big array as much and can just switch among the fixed
beams.  That saves time and makes more Qs.  Why don't we do that?  Simple,
time and money.  We would need to purchase the additional antennas,
feedlines, etc. and then put them up at the contest site.  We do good some
years getting what we have up on Friday afternoon.  Note that K8GP starts
setting up on Wednesday before the contest!  The thing you need to also
realize is that several of the K8GP ops are retired and/or wealthy.  They
simply have more time and money than we do.  That is why I do not worry
about competing with them and prefer to focus on making incremental
improvements to our contest operations.  Many of those improvements are
really starting to pay off for us.  Thanks to Bob, Ron, Brian and others for
their hard work on those improvements.