[Fourlanders] FW: Logging Software

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 20 00:44:02 EST 2007

Wow!  I go out of town for a day and you guys start arguing!  Just kidding!
I have read all of your emails and let me suggest a course of action.  In
September Scott (sorry I don't remember his call) volunteered to do testing
as part of the process of finding a new logging program.  I suggest that we
setup a testbed for the purpose of testing both the technical/networking and
operational aspects of the various programs.  The testbed would duplicate as
closely as practical the network and computer configuration we will use on
the mountain.  We would use the same computers, cables, switches, servers,
etc.  If we really wanted to be OCD about it we could actually have radios
on the various computers.  Once we have the testbed built we can then
install and test the various programs and make an educated decision based on
criteria such as stability, ease of setup/use, etc.  We could even have a
simulated contest by taking one of our old logs and actually have all of us
sit in front of our respect operating positions and log Qs for a couple of
hours to see if we can break it under load.  This would also allow us to
stress test the network.  I know that we will not be able to simulate all of
the RF conditions but I believe this will still be much better than "testing
on the mountain".  This would also give us a way to familarize ourselves
with whatever program we choose before the June contest.  My question is, is
scott willing to host such a test bed?  I don't know if Scott is on the
reflector.  If he isn't, Ron can you talk to him about this?