[Fourlanders] APRS with Rovers?

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 22 17:40:19 EDT 2008

Texting is not allowed.  The rovers are allowed to beacon callsign and
location only.  I am not even sure we need to be able to transmit, just
receive.  As a matter of fact, if we can get internet access again there are
websites we can go to that display the location of the rovers.  No APRS
required.  I would like to see us work towards getting internet access on
the mountain top.  That would be more useful than APRS.  We had it one year
and it was very helpful on 6 to be able to look at spots, check propagation,
etc.  I am not sure I remember how we got it that one time.  I believe
someone had a laptop with a cellular data card.