[Fourlanders] Contest Report from K4ESA

Bob Mantell k4esa at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 23:26:41 PDT 2009

Hi Guys,

 First, glad I could you on the 3 bands I got working before the contest. Special thanks to the 432 team and op who hung in there to dig out my weak 50 watt signal.  The 128 mile trip was my longest 432 contact of the event by 18 miles over 2 110 milers  I made.

Due the work getting in the way of fun, I had to put the 70cm and 222 yagi up in the air on Sat morning.   I was 1:15 before I found out the 222 yagi now had 5:1 swr after I turned the rotor,  so only 6, 2 and 432.

  I bought a New TS-2000 from HRO at the Atlanta hamfest last week, so come 2pm I jumped in the 6m opening for the next three hours.  I did not think about it until I worked W4NH and was ask " you got any other bands?"  Well, YES!  so off to 2, the 432. Found some folks there to work and we dropped back to 6 to work each other.  When we finished I got to work my first pileup with folks calling ME!  I was only 14 contacts, but it sure seemed like more at the time!  Stayed on 6M, working most of the EL grids in FLA until my daughter showed up around 9pm, then worked an XE in EL06 while she was siting in the shack.  Watched a movie with her, then returned to work some 144 and 432 after 11pm.  Checked the W4NH "beacons", that were still calling.  Picked up some new  2/432 grids in So Ga, then turned in just after midnight.

Back up at 6am to try to add to the grid/QSO points on 144 and 432, adding about 20 until 6 opened up.   Added a bunch of new for me grids out west before  the 11 am cutoff to go to a family gathering.  Off the air from 11am until 5pm, 6 hours of missed 6m Es, Bummer.

But got a special for me contact to make up for it.  I worked a EM54 station off the back of his yagi. Once he heard me he turned east and it was an armchair copy.  I was thinking wow that is short, better check 2M.   And there was a loud EM35 calling CQ!!!  Got through on first call!.  475 miles to AR!  Now I know you guys made lots of longer 2 m contacts, but with only 100 watts and a 13 element CC "Boomer" only up 25 feet with a TV rotor, I am very happy!

Final count not real super due to missing the big six opening:
  13203 Pt's
6M     117Ct's/ 65grids
2M     26Ct's/10grids
70cm  10Ct's/6grids