[Fourlanders] cool surface mount soldering video

Brian McCarthy rfacres at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:40:34 PST 2009

That looks too much like what I used to do for work!

The first link from Kim is a good overview of manual assembly. The
camera and image work is quite good.

Back when I first interviewed with Philips (which became Assembleon)
they had a toaster oven in the demo room. There was a demo PCB and a
small stencil that could be printed by hand squeegee. The parts were
put down with the pick & place machine and then the PCB would be
"reflowed" in the toaster oven. One of my customers also used a
toaster oven for prototypes while the balance of the line was
installed.

One of the coolest flow lines I ever saw was a conveyor belt hot
plate. It was a metallic conveyor belt that was supported by about 3-4
feet of hotplate surface. The whole thing was behind a plexiglass
cover with ventilation ducting, but you could look through the plexi'
and get your face within about 10 inches of the board and watch the
solder transition from paste, to molten and then solid in about 12
inches of travel. Cool! This is not a process that would work for just
any application. These boards were small at about 2x3 inches and
ceramic substrate.

If any of you need to practice on 1206, 0805 and 0603 parts, I believe
I still have a bag of random parts from the machine reject bins.

Cheers,
Brian
NX9O