[Fourlanders] Mast Clamps, etc.

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Tue Apr 6 09:46:30 PDT 2010

Well, I just couldn't find a good deal on having the mast clamps bent
for us and couldn't justify buying the expensive press brake so I said,
why not make one just for the job?

So I designed a small bending brake for the hydraulic press, cut and
welded it up on Sunday afternoon and it works like a charm.  Bends the
1/4" x 2" straps so easily.  I also purchased some 3/16" x 2" material
to try out also.  It bends easier and I think it will be sufficient for
the job at hand.  Anyway, I can much more easily make them now in either
thickness.

What I need from all of you is an idea of how many more "A" frames for
trailers and such that I will need to get material for and build.  It
will take 4 clamps each for a mast.

I think that Tom K4TJD and Scott NN4W each want a complete "A" frame
assembly for a trailer.  How many others are lurking out there.

Let me know so I can go down to the steel yard at Silver City and pick
up all the material at one whack.  It's a little better price to get all
the material in full 20' lengths and I will figure out what all is
needed when you reply with your wants.

Thanks, Bob