[Fourlanders] contest update

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Thu Aug 19 08:58:50 PDT 2010

Only recent change is that I have decided to not do microwave for the
September contest due to the amount of work involved and the time
remaining.  The heat has been a factor on getting outside work done too
and my red "Radio Flyer" trailer just needs too much work to get it
ready in time.

So we will be limited multi again and we have entered as limited for the
past years worth of contests anyway.  I think we actually place higher
in limited than full multi.

The antennas have been taken down at my place and are stowed in Great
White so I don't need any further help here before the contest.  I will
do an update about which trailers are needed and pullers at a later date.

Jim and Brian came up last weekend and we got most of that stuff taken
care of.  Brian brought the generator and I have already secured a much
better replacement alternator and am working on the installation of it
now.  It won't be a major project.

They also helped me with the 6m amp problem and the extra set of eyes
(and brains) helped find what we think is the problem.  The loading
capacitor was not making good ground on the rotor.  I know it seems
strange that that would do what it did, but it's the only thing I've
found.  I am going to call Pat Stein about it, both for the uniqueness
of the problem and for his advice on the grounding problem as it appears
to be the way the capacitor was originally made that is the problem.
Anyway, I will keep you updated.  I do have Jim's 6m Commander here for
the back up amp as I may not get around to finishing mine.  We had
decided to use Ron's amp again anyway.

So, everything is coming together for the contest and I'm not too
stressed out, other than working out in the heat!!

I will put out another update when it's time for food sign up or if
anything else of interest comes along.

Bob