[Fourlanders] FW: [VHF] Gene's QST Column - Part 1

Brian McCarthy brian at rfacres.com
Tue Apr 19 14:16:48 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Bill Pence <pence.bill at gmail.com> wrote:
> maybe these old codgers should set up spark gap EME, then they can
> have their own organization (I bet Wayne Green -- still not dead, btw.

Does anyone have an estimate of MDS and bandwidth for a coherer tube
receiver? I'm trying to calculate the power and link budget
requirements for EME with 1905 vintage radio technology. I suspect it
requires quite a bit more power than sending a De Lorean through time.
It would probably take out the eastern US power grid. Should I be
estimating for a center frequency of something like 50-60 KHz? What
would it take to make an antenna with positive gain for that frequency
range? If we could move up to about 100 KHz, we might be able to load
up the Golden Gate Bridge as a halfwave dipole. Do you think we could
convince the the bay area to let us put two or three director elements
above it and put insulators on either end?

Thoughts anyone? Beuller?

Tongue planted firmly in cheek. Now where did I hide the flak jacket
and Nomex underwear?

Brian
NX9O