[Fourlanders] FW: [VHFcontesting] Group purchase of HP Compaq 3000W 48v Hot-PlugPower Supply

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 17 22:15:59 PST 2011

FYI for anyone who is interested.

From: vhfcontesting-bounces at contesting.com
[mailto:vhfcontesting-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Marshall Williams
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:10 PM
To: VHF Contesting
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Group purchase of HP Compaq 3000W 48v Hot-PlugPower
Supply

Hello all.....as many of you know, there are a glut of HP Compaq 3000W
48v Hot-Plug Power Supplies on eBay right now.  They range in price from
$25(+$17 shipping) to $38(+$17 shipping).  Also, since I live in TX, I
have to pay state sales tax on these.

Apparently, these power supplies are perfect for running the new Solid
State amplifiers, such as the M2 1KW 6M amp and the soon to be released
1KW 2M amp.  These amps run on 48V.  The power supplies put out 51V, but
supposedly, it is possible to turn them down a bit.  I have not yet
figured out how to do that....I do know how to make them start up.
These power supplies take 240VAC for the input.

I am going to purchase 10 of these for myself.  I have a friend that is
going to pick them up for me in Garland, TX.  This means that we can
escape the high shipping charges, but we do have to pay state sales tax,
since I live in TX.  I think that $30 each is fair, since I have to pay
sales tax and a little gas for my friend.

I will be attending the SE VHF conference in Huntsville, AL, so I could
bring some of them over there with me.  I will be attending the Central
States conference too, but it will be right in the Dallas area, so you
could go over and pick them up yourself.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a large lot of these, we may be
able to get them at the same time....hopefully, we might negotiate a
cheaper price, but that is not guaranteed.....

Thoughts anyone???

73 Marshall K5QE