[Fourlanders] W4NH CQWWVHF Contest

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Sun Jul 10 20:31:06 PDT 2011

I think most of you already know that we also decided to do the CQWWVHF
contest again this year from the W4ZST QTH.

We had a work session on Saturday, Scott, Tom, Ron, Bob and later Skip.
  We took down the FD set-up and the Antennas are all in the air and
working along with the 2m station set up and tested.  Jim came on Sunday
and set up and tested the 6m station and we worked on the Omni's and
successfully readjusted them to bring down the SWR so we can switch back
and forth between the beams and Omni's without having to retune the Amp.
  Saturday we also set up a second trailer with an Az-El rotator with
two 13B2's on the cross boom to have available for the 2m EME attempts.
  Ron and Scott will complete the phasing lines this week and we will
connect them Saturday afternoon during the contest.

So we are set up and ready to go.  The contest runs from 2PM Saturday to
5PM Sunday.  Tom is bringing his camper again and he and Scott are
staying in it.  Let me know who else wants to spend the night Saturday
night during the contest and I will make arrangements for you like we
have done before.  We can probably get Kos to bring his too if needed.
BTW, they both have AC!

Meal plans:  We discussed possibilities during the work session and came
up with the following:

Saturday lunch we plan to meet at Rooster's at 11:30 AM to beat the
lunch rush because sometimes they are slow around lunch.  This should
give us plenty of time to turn on the rigs and get going for the contest.

Saturday night dinner:  I am going to have the grill going, so bring
some meat (steak, burgers, dogs, etc) for yourself and I will cook it
(or you can do it yourself) and I'll have baked potatoes and salad also.
  Scott is also going to deep-fry some chicken wings.  As usual, bring
your own preferred drinks and snacks for the evening.

Sunday Breakfast will probably be pancakes and sausage again and I will
take care of that.  Plenty of coffee available.

Sunday lunch we decided to send out for pizza, like Domino's, Papa
John's or Pizza Hut, all of which we have here in Dahlonega that deliver
or we will run to town and pick up.

Sunday evening dinner, we will repair to El Jimador excellent Mexican
Restaurant in downtown Dahlonega to unwind and tell lies about our
contest exploits.  They do serve Beer and Wine on Sunday and the
restaurant has many good choices for dinner.

So, let me know which meals you will be here for and whether you want to
spend the night as soon as you can and I'll be able to make all the
necessary plans.

We will have our yearly required Fourlanders meeting sometime during the
contest period here.

Thanks to the guys for coming up to help set up the antennas.  It was
pretty hot and I know that I wouldn't have been able to do it by myself
this time.

Also for setting up the stations.  Scott has his usual 2m set-up with
the Elecraft K3, 2m transverter and P3 panadaptor and his newly
re-worked amp.  It was tested with Writelog and WSJT on Saturday.  Jim
has set up the FT-2000 and Commander amp and it is also tested.  We have
back-up amps for both stations waiting in the shack.

73, let me know your plans and we'll see you this weekend.  Bob