[Fourlanders] Report from last weekend

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 1 13:06:38 PDT 2011

I am not surprised that we are finding problems with those cables.  Some of
those cables date back to before I started with the group back in the 90s.
We should probably just replace all of the cables on all of the antennas
with the possible exception of 6 since those cables are relatively new.  I
would be careful though about changing the feeds to the hairpin type matches
we are using on 6.  First I am not sure that match would scale up frequency
wise very well and second I am convinced that match is why we have rain
static build problems on 6.  The driven element floats and the only way the
static charge can discharge is down the feedline.  I would like to see if
there is a way to DC ground the driven element to the mast but I haven't had
the chance to research that yet.  Anyway, Dick K5AND has a lot of practical
experience with such things so maybe he has some good input and suggestions.
The baluns on the 2 meter EME antennas being upside down and filling with
water reminds me of the upside down rain filled rotator incident a couple of
years ago.  I guess we need to start painting red arrows with "This Side
Down" on everything.  I have a laptop (possibly two) available to use with
the analyzer.  They are hand-me-downs from my son David which means they are
probably better than anything any of us own!  Anyway, just remind me Bob
before I come up next time and I will bring one to try out.  I never did
hear how we did in the contest other than it wasn't very good.  How bad is
not very good?