[Fourlanders] 2m Antenna comparison

Ron Rogers ww8rr at charter.net
Tue Dec 30 11:25:21 EST 2014

OK...here's my initial thoughts without further facts to confirm or refute.

The only way to truly compare antenna performance is by using the same feed
line for testing of both antenna sets. I would say that the majority of the
signal difference is due to differences in feed line loss of both antenna
arrays.

If I remember correctly, the feed line going to the horizontal antennas on
Blackhawk is made up of about 150' of LDF4-50 (2 pieces with a jumper),
50-60 feet of untested RG-8 "something" from the hard line up to the
antennas, another short jumper in the shack, etc. If everything was perfect
and met specs, that's at least (theoretical) 3.8 db loss in the feed line
run at 144 MHz. and that's significant !

Until you actually measure under some power with a pair of calibrated Bird
43 meters at each end of the individual feed lines you will not know what
your true system losses really are.

At this point I would have to say that the EME antennas having much shorter,
and newer feed line give them the real advantage, no matter what the height
is.

Ron
WW8RR