[Fourlanders] W4NH Sept Contest Update

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Wed Sep 2 18:58:53 EDT 2015

Still on go for the contest.  I have been meaning to send this update
but keep forgetting and I've also had ISP problems for a day or so where
I could get mail, but couldn't send any and also couldn't get on the
internet.  I was texting on my phone instead for a couple of important
things to take of.

We had a workday on 8/22 with Johnny, Ron, Jerry and I.  Stuff I had
stored in the new trailer got moved out and put away in various places.
We got all the antennas down, packed in Great White, measured and
labeled all the rotor cables and coaxes, found one cable had been run
over (probably by me!) which Ron worked on and I TDR'd afterward.  It
ain't pretty but it looks like it will work OK anyway.  Eventually we
will get a splice and fix it.  We went to Rooster's after for lunch.  It
was a pretty hot and muggy day and it took the toll on us.

Johnny also came up on 8/29 and helped me again with jockeying the
trailers into position and checking the air in all the tires.   That was
a day's work too with the five trailers here.   Not as hot as the
previous Saturday, but Johnny and I were dragging.  Afterward we did
manage to make it to Hickory Prime BBQ to try and recover!!

Jim W4KXY had hurt his arm at work the day before our workday and that's
why he didn't make it.  We managed without him and he is OK for the
contest.  Jack and Charlotte have had to drop out for the contest as
Charlotte needs to stay home for some medical issues. Jack is bringing
me his W6PQL 2m amp and power supply tomorrow so I can bring it to the
contest.  We wish Charlotte well and a speedy recovery.

No other changes in the contest operators as of now.  Still hoping to
have a few extra folks join us on the mountain during the contest.

Packed up the 222 station today since it was too hot to work outside and
now have that ready.  I'm going to the Shelby hamfest this weekend so
good to get that chore out of the way.  I had also been messing around
with a panadaptor computer for the 222 station. Originally I was going
to leave it off, but I had time and now have it set up and working and
now packed and ready.  Johnny took the 6m panadaptor computer home with
him for the trip.  I had set it up and tested it here last week.  I have
actually been getting some extra things done around here lately.

No other issues that I know of.  My check list is getting pretty short.
I have the food situation under control.  One BIG thing I haven't yet
publicized is that Jerry Long W5TDY is coming on Saturday and is also
bringing our Saturday night dinner of BBQ and fixin's.  We always love
Jerry's great food and I especially appreciate his bringing a meal and
making it one less for me to take care of.  He is also planning to bring
wife Sue and camp out Saturday night along with operating some too.

Anyone coming Friday night other than the six trailer pullers and Kim,
let me know so I can get enough food for Friday evening chow.

Other part timers, let me know when you will be getting to the
campground and when you will be leaving so I can plan quantities for the
other meals.  I'll have Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for both Saturday
and Sunday available and biscuits and coffee for the Monday morning take
down crew.  I need to know by Tuesday of next week 9/8 please.

Thanks and 73 for now.  Bob W4ZST