[Fourlanders] September VHF Contest Summary

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Thu Sep 17 17:59:00 EDT 2015

September 2015 VHF Contest Summary - W4NH

The FourLanders made it to the mountain-top campground for the contest
this time.   We had pullers for the six trailers leaving here and got
away at 9:30 on Friday morning.  A mostly uneventful trip up to Maggie
Valley (Bill's fuel leak did cause some concern!) where we met up with
Kim WG8S and Jim WE8W at the Subway in Maggie Valley.  Paul W4SKI made
it up to the campground later and helped with set-up.  Set-up went well
and as usual we got all the antennas in the air before dark and supper.
Stations got set up in the trailer after that.  We did have some rain
Saturday and Saturday night but we were set-up enough that it didn't
affect us.  We also had some pretty cool weather this time, especially
on Saturday and Sunday nights.  Everyone was wrapping up in blankets and
sleeping bags to keep warm.

Here are our raw unedited results. I will submit to ARRL when I have a
chance to go over the logs later.

BAND          QSO's           Grids
6m            182             40
2m              94             31
222             18             12
432             43             23

Totals          337            106        for 42,186 points.  This is a
lower score than we made from EM84 in the June contest so I expect that
we won't even break the top ten this contest.  Just never had any real
propagation and we saw that the NE, midwest and FL folks had some
openings.  Moon conditions were not good and we didn't try any EME at
all this time.

Operators for the contest were:  6m band captain Johnny Kludt K4SQC, 2m
band captain Dennis 'Kos' Kosmetatos N4NIA, 222 band captain Bob Lear
W4ZST (setting up the NX9O 222 station), 432 band captain Ron Rogers
WW8RR, Kim Hensley WG8S, Jim Rogers WE8W, Paul Yeager W4SKI, Jerry Long
W5TDY,.  We were happy to have a couple of new faces join us for the
contest, Norm Schklar WA4ZXV and Paul Kelly W4KLY from the GARS club
came up Saturday night with a camper and stayed thru Monday morning and
helped us take down.   They both operated some and made some Q's but
there wasn't much to pick from with the meager propagation we had.  We
were also visited Friday night by our friend Phillip N4HF from Ashville.
Howard W4PH was busy at the WNC state fair with many ham clubs
participating in showing off amateur radio at the fair.  We did work him
on 6m too.  Jimmy Dean Blair K2JB was off in Wilmington NC operating
from the battleship NC.  He was checking in by phone with us.  Also
special thanks to Jack K5FSE and his wife Charlotte who were unable to
make the trip this time but did bring me his W6PQL 2m amp earlier for
Kos to use on the 2m station.  I don't think Johnny had to ask me any
questions this time about setting up the 6m contest station which also
used my 6m Commander amp and didn't have any problems during the
contest.  Johnny was back to using his FT-2000 for the 6m station and it
worked just great.  We were hoping a couple of more new ops and
potential members would come visit for the contest, but their plans just
didn't work out.  We made a new feedline for the 2m station using some
of the LMR-600 that was donated to the club.  It worked well.  Ron had
also found another latching relay to use on 2m to switch between the
omnis and beams and that worked well after some initial SWR problems
with the omnis that turned out to be inductance from the coiled up
feedline from the relay to the antennas that was used.  Stretched out
and problem solved.  We did have some recurring problems this time with
internet connections.  Bill had gotten a new device with which to
connect, but there were some sort of problems which required rebooting
many times.  I don't think the new rules allowing spotting, etc. made
much difference for us this contest since we never had any propagation
and mostly just worked out to a couple of adjacent grids.  Maybe next time.

Friday night dinner was home made chili and cornbread.  I used Jimmy
Deans recipe but cooked in a crock pot as I don't have Dutch ovens to
use.  There were no leftovers so I think I did credit to his recipe.
Saturday breakfast was scrambled eggs, bacon and hashbrowns.  Saturday
and Sunday lunches were Ham/Turkey/Swiss/Provolone sandwiches and
chips.  Saturday night dinner was another special treat.  Jerry W5TDY
smoked a couple of briskets, a Boston Butt, a pot of his famous Charro
Beans and some outstanding smoked sausage.  Jerry and his wife Sue came
up just to deliver the dinner as his original plans to camp out were
interrupted by a business trip calling.  We really appreciate him going
out of his way to come up and feed us.  It was a meal worth being there
for.  If you missed it then.................
I cooked pancakes and sausage for breakfast on Sunday and Sunday night
we had Brats and Italian Sausage, grilled peppers and onions, macaroni
and cheese and slaw.  Afterwards it looked pretty much like the
Tasmanian Devil had gone through it because not much left!!  As usual
for every meal with this group.  Monday morning was microwave Sausage,
Egg and Cheese biscuits.

On the convoy home on Monday, we stopped again at the Zaxby's in
Franklin NC, where Norm and Paul then went on to Gwinnett County. After
dropping the trailers here at W4ZST, the guys helped me with unloading
the heavy stuff: amps, radios, power supplies, cooler etc. and they set
the tents out to dry as we pretty much always have to put them in the
trailers dripping with morning dew.  All home safely and I've finished
cleaning up kitchen stuff and replacing things where they belong in the
shack.  All the trailers and towers were flawless as usual.  Again
special thanks to Brian McCarthy NX9O for use of Great White, the
generator trailer and the 222 station.  Just hoping things will work out
so he can get back with us for future contests.

We did have a short club business meeting and will have a required
yearly meeting during the January 2016 VHF contest.  We discussed a
couple of items and also voted on purchasing a pair of M2 6m HO loop
antennas that Johnny has and won't be using.  That will free mine up to
stay in the air at my QTH and one less set of antennas to take up and
down.  There will likely be an assessment to the membership to help
purchase these antennas as the treasurer did not think we will have
enough in the treasury.  To be announced.  I will also produce an
inventory list of stuff that does actually belong to the club so it will
be in writing and recorded.

Costs for the trip beside each individuals fuel to get there: Shared
Full time camping, $44 per person.  Shared diesel fuel costs for the
generator, $6 per person.  Cost for 8 meals for the full time crew was
$33 per person.  Amounts are pro-rated for part time participants.  I
don't think you could stay home and spend less for a fun weekend!!
Thanks to all those who burn some extra fuel hauling the trailers up.
That is a definite need for the club, manpower, truckpower and fuel for
the trip.  Thanks to Johnny for hauling Great White and Kos for pulling
the club 16' as yet un-named trailer.  I did secure a neat logo decal
for Great White at a flea market on the way home from the Shelby hamfest
and it is on the trailer and looks good.  I'll post a pic on the web
page when I figure out how to do that

Thanks again to all who participated on the mountain, folks at home who
supported us and the folks who worked us during the contest.  I think a
good time was had by all.

Make plans for the January VHF contest which the Fourlanders will again
do from the W4ZST QTH on January 30th and February 1st, 2016.

Hope to see everyone at the Stone Mountain/Lawrenceville hamfest on
November 7th and 8th coming up soon.

73,  Bob W4ZST