[Fourlanders] September contest planning

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Mon Jul 18 16:08:59 EDT 2016

It's probably not too early to start making our plans for the September
contest.  We do have confirmed reservations for the campground and we
really need to make it this time as I think our reservation credibility
will suffer if we have to cancel another one!  You may remember that I
noted in the June contest summary that we had actually done the last
THREE years June contests at my QTH rather than on the mountain.

First, a couple of questions that I need answered:  1.  I was talking
with someone during the contest about milling machines and I can't
remember whether someone knew of one available or what. If your memory
is better than mine (and I'm pulling for you!) then please remind and
update me on that.  2.  Someone showed interest in the large NiCad
batteries that were donated to us.  They are available so if it was you,
get back in touch.  Note these are 1.2V, 170 AMP hour cells about 10
pounds each and there are 38 total in banks of 3 and 4.  No charger and
they would need a substantial charger.  3.  I think someone borrowed my
red dishwashing pan that I use for sorting nuts and bolts.  I'd like it
back.

Now to the contest.  Excellent news:  Ryan KK4OSG who came to visit
during the January contest and has been having fun and great success in
the FM only operator category has offered to come with us for the
September contest.  He has been very effective at publicizing the
contests, getting folks on and making Q's with him on 6 thru 440 FM.
Many of you have seen my analysis of comparison of his logs with ours
and he's working folks (and grids) that we are missing.  There were
really not many common call signs that we worked and it would have made
a significant score increase for us to have also worked those FM folks.
I think we should probably put together a three or four band FM station
and antennas for the contest.  It will surely be different from the
mountain location as we won't nearly be as close to a major population
area but it appears that there are many stations that will come out on
FM with appropriate publicity.  Any and all input on this welcome.  Let
me know and I'll sort through comments.  I'm hoping that Ryan will in
fact help us with his experience with publicity but it will now be for a
different area.   Suggestions for radios, antennas, coordination with
the SSB/CW stations to prevent concurrent operation on a band, etc. are
requested.  Ryan has equipment and antennas that he has used but I know
there is a tremendous amount of stuff available within our group too.
Let's get this started off right away to allow time for the publicity.

I'm looking for commitments from band captains, operators and trailer
pullers to confirm for the contest.  Let me know ASAP please.  I'm
working on trailers and doing some antenna maintenance stuff here.  We
will leave the W4ZST QTH on Friday morning, June 9 about 9:30 or so as
usual and get back to my QTH about 4 PM on Monday afternoon, Sept 12th.
I thought I'd found us a new cook, but it wouldn't fit his schedule for
this contest so I will continue with the cooking duties.  Anyone who
would like to be major help to me and be a co-captain for 222 with me
would be most welcome also.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you about our contest plans,
73, Bob