[Fourlanders] W4NH summary for ARRL EME contest

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Tue Nov 22 16:40:21 EST 2016

Johnny K4SQC, Bob W4ZST, Ron WW8RR and Kim WG8S did the ARRL
International EME contest this year using the W4NH call.  We used
Johnny's 2m EME station that is set up here at the W4ZST shack and a
kludge of Ron's rig and my amp for the 432 station.  Johnny and I did
this contest last year with him on 2m with his call and me on 432 with
my call.  I turned up 3rd place world-wide in the 432 single band, all
mode category.  Of course, we only used JT65 for all the Q's.

This contest was in two weekends, Oct 22-23 and Nov 19-20.  Kim came
over for the first weekend.

Contest LOWlights or what the heck is Murphy doing at my shack lately!!!!

Before the first weekend I had been working feverishly all week to get
my 432 station that I used last year back on the air and trying to make
some improvements.  Not to be, said Murphy.  After working on updating
my transverter to an ApolLO reflock board and splitting the output to
separate RX and TX connectors, I had some sort of oscillation problem
and couldn't get it sorted.  I also had problems with building a new
relay box with preamp to use separate feedlines for RX and TX in order
to also have Vertical/Horizontal polarization available on 432 like
Johnny has on 2m.   So anyway, I finally did away with the relay box and
plans for dual polarization, put another transverter in line and was set
up just like last year.  Got started at the beginning of the contest and
made a couple of Q's with 432 Big Gun stations. So far, so good.  Well,
we decided to try putting a preamp in line in the shack to see if that
would improve things.  Apparently as soon as we got that set up, then
Johnny finally got started about an hour after the contest kickoff and
transmitted (with 800+ watts) on 2m and our 432 antennas were looking
right at 2m to the moon, ZAP!  Out goes the preamp and the front end of
the transverter.  That's when we kludged Ron's radio and interface in to
try to keep going.  The next 432 Q is made about 5 hours later and only
then added 3 more that first weekend.  432 conditions were not good
according to the comments on the chat pages and they certainly weren't
too good here! Johnny ended up with 30 Q's the first weekend, which was
better than the first weekend last year.

I did try to work on the 'smoked transveters and preamp and got on
transveter and the preamp going with replaced FET's.  No wonder Kostro
calls them 'front end fuses'!  Anyway, then I decided to leave well
enough alone and didn't try to change anything on the stations for the
second weekend.  Not good enough, said Murphy. Although things went well
on Friday night of the second weekend, Ron didn't make any Q's despite
showing up on the liveCQ page and trying lots of times on 432.  It
wasn't conditions this time, just no good decodes and unfortunately,
little activity.  I operated the 2m station on Friday night and made 28
Q's, mostly by getting a frequency and calling CQ.  A lot of fun.
Johnny was in charge of the NFARL HamJam get together for Saturday
morning and had too much to do and didn't come up for the Friday night
moon pass.  Ron had to go home after moonset on Saturday morning.  I got
some sleep and Johnny came up about dinner time.  Then on Saturday night
at moonrise, the 2m antennas and the 432 antennas were lined up pretty
well with 432 behind the 2m ones like last month.  Well, this time the
432 station took out both the 2m preamp and the front end of the
transverter before 2m could make a Q!  I put my 2m transverter in
Johnny's station and promptly took it's front end out also.  GD
Murphy!!  I tried yet another 2m transveter I had but it was DOA already
so that pretty much shot our 2m activities for the night.  It would have
taken much effort to get another 2m station going, what with different
interfacing, audio connections, etc. using a 2m all-mode in place of the
Flex 1500 and transverter.  And the fact that I was actually making some
Q's on 432.  Only another six Q's for Saturday night.  Nowhere near as
good as last year so I don't expect any certificates this time, unless
Murphy should feel guilty and send me some kind of consolation prize!
BTW, we weren't wringing out the 432 amp, only ran about 500 watts this
year vs 400 last year. You do remember seeing the devastation 1500W did
to my 432 preamp after the contest last year don't you?

We are seriously going to have to relocate the antennas so that we don't
have one station shooting up the rear of the other or v-v which is how
it worked out around moonrise last weekend and probably was the
situation the first weekend.  Still have transverters and preamps to try
to repair and eventually get my new relay box going too.

Any advice from more experienced friends will be appreciated.  We do
think the problem though is proximity of the antennas (and me wanting to
change things!).

I will send the results in.  58 Q's and 52 grids on 2m with 12 Q's and
12 grids on 432.  I think it will be 448,000 points for multi-op, which
doesn't put us in the running for a place.

73, Bob