[Fourlanders] contest update

Ryan Kovacs tukosei at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 20:42:39 EDT 2016

I will meet up with you guys on Friday morning to caravan up with my pop-up
trailer in tow. I can stay until Sunday late afternoon, unfortunately I
have to leave to get back home for work on Monday.

Some of you know I am always looking for an opportunity to do a SOTA
activation and I thought I would see what summits were near Soco Bald. The
bald right next to Soco Bald, Bunches Bald is a SOTA summit. It is only 10
feet higher in elevation than Soco and is only about 1500 feet away. I want
to go activate this probably on Saturday morning before the contest and
invite anyone to tag along with me. This will be a really easy short hike,
with only 100 feet elevation climb.

Why is Soco bald not a SOTA summit? Per SOTA rules it has to have more than
492 feet (150m) elevation difference between the two summits. There is a
“saddle” between the two with only about 110’ difference and Bunches Bald
is about 10 feet higher. So being the higher of the 2, Bunches wins.

Ryan

KK4OSG