[Fourlanders] January contest score submitted

Jim Worsham w4kxy at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 1 21:12:54 EST 2017

Since I was not at Bob’s place for the contest because of illness I wanted to hold off on comments until I had a chance to talk to Sherman.  He and I had lunch today with Mike Stipick, KC4RI.  We have a weekly lunch bunch going on Wednesdays 1 PM at the Mad Italian off of I-285 in Chamblee.  It is a great opportunity for three retired Georgia Tech engineers to get together and talk about the rest of you.  We haven’t started exchanging recipes yet but who knows.  Anyway, see below for my comments in red.  One final thing.  Sherman mentioned to me that there was some issue with the 6 meter antennas and high SWR.  After talking about it, it sounded like water/moisture in the relay box.  We have been using that setup for several years so probably time for an overhaul.  Maybe try to find some newer sealed relays and even do a PCB.  Mike Stipick has a way to design and get PCBs at a very reasonable price.  Sherman also suggested that while we are at it we add the capability to reverse the phase on the beams.  This raises the takeoff angle for short E Skip.  Bob built the setup we are using now but he has plenty of his own projects so Sherman and I are going to take this on with the help of Mike Stipick.  Certainly three experienced Georgia Tech engineers with nothing else better to do can figure this out!  That’s all I have for now.