[Fourlanders] Contest and workday update.

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Tue Jan 17 15:50:05 EST 2017

Everything is still on track for the contest.

We had a workday on Friday 1/13 with Ron WW8RR, Sherman WG8S, Bill
KI4US, Jim W4KXY and myself W4ZST.  We got the 432 antenna trailer with
the 4-square array put together and in the air along with the 432 omni
antennas.  We also put up the 2m omni antennas. Ron got his 432 station
set up and on the air tested.  I put the 222 computer on that station
and tested the audio OK.  I also got the 222 FM/Beams switch installed
for the contest.  Now three stations are set up and ready for the
contest and have been networked with the server to check things out.
Kos will bring the 2m station up Friday night or Saturday morning to get
it set up for the contest.

Sherman got to spend time getting familiar with the new 6m station with
the Flex 6500 and Maestro console.  He was on the air with it and made
some Q's.  Jim operated it also.  It really doesn't take much time to
get used to, either using the Maestro or a laptop computer.  One or the
other must be used and unfortunately, not both at the same time.  We are
planning to run it both ways during the contest to see what the ops like
best.

Johnny came up Sunday to bring the laptop back up and get it set up
again and ready for the contest.  He also brought the "Flex Knob" which
is a USB connected 'real' knob that can be used for tuning when using
the laptop computer.  It is pretty easy also and quite convenient.
Johnny has it set up to also be used to adjust the volume or RIT with
just the touch of a button and it goes back to frequency tuning with
just a touch, so I think folks will like that feature too.  We;ll all
get to try things out with this new 6m station.  We will use my
Commander 6m amp again as I have managed to fix it.  Separate email
summary about that problem.  I have also had the 6m station on the air
Sunday for testing.

I'm still deciding on food for the meals during the contest but they
will be similar or something we've had in the past.

On Saturday, instead of going to the TechFest, I decided to go the the
Greenwood SC hamfest.  Ray WA4NJP rode over with me.  We both had a good
time.  It wasn't bad for a small hamfest and even though I had nothing
on my want list, a couple of couldn't-pass-up bargains did come home.
One other reason I wanted to go there is my friend Al West KB4RA from
Greenwood had offered a nice portable dish to the FourLanders and I
needed to pick it up.  It is a 6' TVRO mesh style dish with an RV
roof-top mount that lowers down (mostly) flat and has Al-El motors.  I
hope that we'll be able to use this for microwaves contesting.  It is
here in the building now.

I'll see some of you on Friday night and at Rooster's on Saturday
morning for the contest and all is GO.  We will have some invited
visitors on Saturday also.

73, Bob