[Fourlanders] N1MM logging program

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Wed Jan 31 17:46:36 EST 2018

I mentioned in the contest update that we discussed changing over to
N1MM from WriteLog again at our meeting on the contest Sunday afternoon.

We had agreed that it was time to try it and our first strategy would be
for Johnny (who has some experience with N1MM) and Kos would learn it
and report to the rest of us.  The plan is that they would also
implement it as a first test with a simpler than usual set-up, by doing
the 6 and 2 only for the CQWW VHF contest in July. The plans are to do
that contest portable in a new location if possible.

Yesterday, Johnny and I spent a couple of hours here in my shack where
two of the contest stations are still set up and four of the contest
computers are still here.  We upgraded N1MM on each of the contest
computers to the latest release and started out with connecting the
radios on the 6m and 222 stations that are set-up.  I also threw one of
my radios on the 2m computer with a CAT cable.  We pretty quickly had
the three computers networking, seeing each other, able to gab, log and
all see bogus Q's that we were inputting and the 222 station connected
with CW and PTT, sending CW messages and properly doing PTT.  We didn't
get to messing with the audio setup yet.  We got most of the 6m station
working also with some PTT problems to still iron out.  Apparently there
are some idiosyncrasies with the FT-2000 we were using yesterday but I
feel sure we can work them out.  The 2m radio was just doing CAT,
connected to the computer and showing up on the network.

I would like to propose that we go ahead and reconsider implementing
N1MM for the June contest.  I had never seen it before yesterday and we
got so much going so quickly, I was pretty impressed.  I certainly don't
think it could be any more problematic than what we've been experiencing
with WriteLog.  One thing we've always said was that we didn't want to
do a new implementation first on a portable trip so since we've already
decided to stay here for the June contest, I think it's something we
should think about seriously.

All that said, I'm not in charge anymore and no one ever listens to my
suggestions anyway, but here it is for your consideration. Johnny and I
are going to keep working with this when we have time. I have full
confidence that we won't have any real problems making all the radios
work with N1MM, audio channels, CW and PTT functions.  With the progress
we made yesterday in such a short time, I was impressed with N1MM.  The
operator learning curve will be quite easy as contest operation (and
even some of the keyboard shortcuts) are so much like WL.

Think about it, download free N1MM logger and give it a try on your
own.  After some more of you have looked it over, we can decide whether
to change our plans on logging for the next contest.  We do have plenty
of time if we get started now.

Bob