[Fourlanders] EME contest

Tom McElroy tommcelroy.mail at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 17:34:30 EST 2018

Hats off to all of you guys for working the contest.
I was out of the country in Terroristan working on a military EMI problem.

HDMI has harmonics smack dab in the 70cm band.
And, one of the LTE bands.
I've had numerous EMI contracts to solve HDMI problems.
In a nutshell, the problem is almost always the quality of the cable.
Not price, just quality, in terms of proper shielding and bonding of the
shield to the connector shell.
If the shield has a pigtail, you can bet it will be a high impedance node
that will produce common-mode radiation like a som-beach.  And a ferrite
clamp will not suppress CM radiation!

But unless you dissect and X-Ray the cables (I've done so on dozens) you
can't predict the performance.
In my practice, I order 10 or 15 different cables (Monoprice is a great
source) and swap cables until the spectrum analyzer shows a reduction in
amplitude of the offending frequencies.

I've found that one-meter HDMI cables in the $6-17 dollar range have wildly
different response to the HDMI edge rates also.  But as you might guess, a
little capacitance and rounding of the edges is tolerated by the drivers
and receivers and the video quality is never affected.
But that capacitance and slight slowing of edge rates, combined with
low-impedance shield termination can have a dramatic effect on radiated
emissions from the cables.

73
Tom
W4SDR