[Fourlanders] [flatfoot_list] Grid on qsl card?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Oct 7 11:29:15 EDT 2019

Some of you know that I've been trying to reconstruct my log records for
6M operations from Beaver Island.  Over the years I used several
computers for logging and *thought* that by uploading to LoTW I would
have all the info I need.

Turns out that's not the case.  Basically, you cannot retrieve from LoTW
the other station's information like state or gridsquare, even if you
included it in your upload record.  So to find out what grids I've
worked but not confirmed isn't easy.

To make a start on the problem, I decided to torture myself a little and
wrote a Python 3* program to download LoTW data and munge it to at least
find out what I'm missing.  The program allows a fair number of
selection and sorting options, so you can do things like select DX-only
6M QSOs that are confirmed but lack a gridsquare, or all unconfirmed 6M
QSOs between 01-01-2010 and 12-31-2012.

I wrote it under Linux but there's no reason it shouldn't work under
DOS/Windows as well if you install Python 3.  It is strictly
command-line at the moment.  Under either OS it requires a handful of
easy-to-find library modules that you'll need to install.

The program and README file are at: https://github.com/n8ur/lotw_tool

Share and enjoy!

73,
John

* Note -- as I have learned to my pain, Python 3 is a lot different
(read harder) than Python 2.  But since it's what all the cool kids are
using, I decided I should use it and get at least part way down the
learning curve.