[Fourlanders] IC-905 video is up

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 20 13:38:24 EDT 2022

We did stuff like that all the time at AT&T running control and power cables up to electronics on towers. You can get environmentally sealed connectors and even cable that is weather and UV resistant. Tower mounted electronics is standard stuff now in the cellular business. As long as they use the proper types of cable and connectors I don’t believe it will be a problem. Interesting that they are using PoE to power the tower mounted electronics. I proposed doing that at AT&T one time and just about got run out of the conference room. They always ran power and data on different cables. Now, that leads to what can be a problem. Lightning. I don’t need to explain to everyone how even an induced surge from a nearby strike can blow up your electronics. Most if not all of us deal with that by just not having the antennas connected when we are not operating. Can’t do that with the electronics on the tower. Everything is going to have to be surge protected and grounded. Most hams have no idea what is involved in properly grounding and surge protecting a communications facility. I would be interested in hearing Icom’s thoughts on that.

Sent from my iPad