[Fourlanders] W4NH June Contest Summary

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Sun Jun 19 15:13:53 EDT 2022

Another good contest this time.  Very good propagation and openings on
6m and 2m.  No idea where we will end up in the standings as it seems
everyone around the country enjoyed the openings.  Will just have to
wait and see when the results are published.  Speaking of published
results, the July QST came right after the contest and we made third
place nationwide Multi-Op for the Jan 2022 contest.  This makes three
Third Place and Two Second Place finishes over the past 20 years, one
second and one third from the mountain and the others here in GA.  I
think that's pretty good from the SE region.  We've only been out of the
top ten 6 times in 22 years, that's 53 contests.

On 6m we worked the Pacific NW, Washington and Oregon, Southern
California, the Caribbean and several EU stations for 10 grids there.
On 2m we made it to KS, NB and SD for our best distances. Bill also made
three 432 EME Q's on Saturday night.  You can see from the results below
that 6m SSB was back in the game for this contest, likely due to the
ARRL adding an analog only category.  We have been limited to almost all
FT8 Q's on 6m for the past few years but this time it was like the good
old days, nice pileups on 6m phone and we really enjoyed getting those.
Many times sounded like 20m on Field Day.  A highlight was working our
good friend and former Fourlander, Johnny K7SYS from Idaho on 6m FT8 at
2300 miles with his 80 Watts and loop antennas!  I finally got the 1296
station back on for this contest thanks to much help from Bill.  We
didn't see a lot of opportunities but we did work N4SVC in Florida, EM80
at 300 miles with the 22W and Jay KC4JD in Dawson County, EM74 for two
grids and many point jumps.  They were also the only stations we worked
on all 5 bands.  I'm going to try to keep the microwave bands on in
future.  I have missed that for several years now.

Bill has submitted the score to ARRL and I have posted on 3830 also,
Multi-Op.  The ARRL entry didn't show as many points as the N1MM log
does but I'm sure that will not affect our ultimate position in the
standings.

Operators for the contest were Brian NX9O, Kim WG8S, Bill KI4US, Bob
K4VBM, Jerry W5TDY and Bob W4ZST.  Brian and Bob got up early Sunday
morning to take advantage of Meteor Scatter and got several new grids
for multipliers.   We had Ron WW8RR and Chris W4ONT come visit on
Saturday and for dinner.  It was good to have folks come visit again
after the past couple of years.  A couple of Fourlander ops had to
cancel due to illness and other obligations.  Also Mike KC4RI met us at
Roosters on Saturday for lunch but didn't have time to come up for the
contest.  Jimmy Dean, K2JB was roving in our area and came by on Sunday
evening to visit and have some supper with us.  It was great to see him
again too.  We were very happy that we had no real problems with our
equipment or antennas.  The only real complaint was JTx losing contact
with the radio and causing us to have to reset the connection.  That
happened on several stations on Sunday afternoon.  Otherwise Murphy was
not in his usual attendance here for the contest.

Once again, Jerry W5TDY, the master BBQ smoker has fed us (and spoiled
us) royally.  Here is Jerry's menu.

Saturday Dinner: Smoked Baby-back Ribs, smoked chicken wings, Smoked Sausage, Baked Beans, coleslaw, Texas Toast
Sunday Breakfast - Egg/Sausage/Vegetable/cheese casserole
Sunday Lunch - Cold Cut sandwiches (Ham/Turkey/Cheese) Chips, pickles, left over coleslaw
Sunday Dinner - Left-overs (if any) or order pizza?

He made so many ribs that we had plenty for Sunday night and even for 4
of us to have another rib meal after the contest last week! And they
were excellent as usual. Enough breakfast for us still on Monday morning
and take home from that too. Kim and Bill stayed three nights, Bob only
on Saturday night and Brian on Saturday and Sunday nights. We had room
left over as three ops didn't make it this time. The usual stations were
on. On 6m the IC7300, Beko kW amp and the two 5 element beams at 35/50'.
I had recently had the 6m tower down to replace the lower antenna that
sort of fell off in the January snow and also shortened the 6m phasing
lines and the main feed line, taking out about 55' of length that we
didn't need. I had tested all feedlines and TDR'd them. I also returned
the Bip/Bop Box to service. We put the 6m omni's back up on Friday
afternoon too with new guy ropes. 6m performed well for the contest. The
144, 222 and 432 stations had Flex 1500's, DEMI transverters and Lunar
Link amps at about 1KW. We also have preamps on all those bands and use
the taller 2x12 el 2m terrestrial antennas and the cross pol antenna
pairs on 222 and 432 for EME and terrestrial. The 1296 station was also
a Flex 1500 and DEMI transverter but no amp or preamp to the 2x45 el
loop yagis. I wanted to get 900 and 2304 back on the air too but
problems with the 1296 station (mostly of my own making!) took too much
of my time and I just couldn't get to the other bands. That's it for
now. Be sure to put the September contest on your calendars, Sept 10-12
this year. Most likely here again as we still haven't had any ideas
about a new portable location. 73, Bob