[Fourlanders] W4NH September Contest Summary

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Fri Sep 16 20:58:22 EDT 2022

Another good contest this time and we all had a good time but no
propagation or openings like we had in June.
Bill made three 432 EME Q's on Saturday night.  We listened on 144 and
222 EME but no Q's.  We did get on 1296 and made a couple of Q's.

Bill has submitted the score to ARRL and I have posted on 3830 also,
Multi-Op.  We will have to see how things turn out and whether other
areas of the country had propagation and where we end up in the final
standings.

Operators for the contest were Brian NX9O, Kim WG8S, Bill KI4US, Bob
K4VBM, Jerry W5TDY, Brad KM4QHI, Ron WW8RR, Kos N4SDK, Jack KM4ZIA and
Bob W4ZST.  Several ops stayed up for early Sunday morning to take
advantage of Meteor Scatter and got several new grids for multipliers.
Glad to have Ron and Kos back with us after a long absence and to have
Brad and Jack operate with us again.   It was also good to have folks
come visit again after the past couple of years.  Bob Hensey brought his
friend Don KK4E to visit, my brother David from Daytona Beach was also
here to see what we do for the first time, Mike Stipick KC4RI also got
up for a while on Saturday afternoon.  The other McElroys visiting were
Tom W4SDR and Jan K4PRM.

Once again, Jerry W5TDY, the master BBQ smoker has fed us (and spoiled
us) royally.  Here is Jerry's menu.

Saturday Dinner: Beef Brisket, Smoked Sausages, Texas Beans, coleslaw, Texas Toast and Apple Pie.  Thanks to Jan for helping Jerry out with dinner prep.
Sunday Breakfast - Egg/Sausage/Potato/cheese casserole and I think I saw Avocaco and other fancy stuff
Sunday Lunch - Hot meatball Hoagies, Chips, pickles, left over coleslaw
Sunday Dinner - Brisket Quesadillas, Rice, Beans and other leftovers
Brian and Bill stayed four nights, Kim two nights, Bob and Kos for
Saturday night. Brian and Bill helped and we got a good bit done on
projects around here on Thursday and Friday and I really do appreciate
the help. I also made some Al amp covers for Kim over the weekend for
his Larcan amps. On 6m we tried out the FTDX3000 courtesy of our friend
Smitty W4UDH, my Beko kW amp and the two 5 element beams at 35/50'. 6m
performed well for the contest but since it was almost all FT8, we
really didn't get to give the 3000 a workout. The 144, 222 and 432
stations were the usual Flex 1500's, DEMI transverters and Lunar Link
amps at about 1KW. We also have preamps on all those bands and use the
taller 2x12 el 2m terrestrial antennas and the cross pol antenna pairs
on 222 and 432 for bpth EME and terrestrial. The 1296 station was also a
Flex 1500 and DEMI transverter but no amp or preamp to the 2x45 el loop
yagis. That's it for now. Be sure to put the January contest on your
calendars, January 21-23, 2023. We will definitely operate here for the
January contest as we have for the past 16 years since I moved to this
QTH. Thanks to all our friends on the airwaves who worked us in the
contest. 73, Bob