[Fourlanders] Alinco DR-135TMK3

Sherman W4ATL (w4atl@shermanbanks.net) w4atl at shermanbanks.net
Wed Apr 12 16:19:28 EDT 2023

I had been noticing some 2M interference that a ham friend traced to a APRS digipeater that is using an Alinco DR-135TMK3 2M radio. These radios are very popular in the APRS community. Unfortunately, they have a synthesizer issue that causes a wide frequency swing when keyed. APRS repeaters are keyed a lot. The offending radio was near Jasper, GA and it has been replaced. You can imagine how bad it is if I can hear it in Dunwoody but the radio is in Jasper.

I am still seeing some jumps in the 2M spectrum so there may be some more of these radios that need to be replace.  If you see periodic bumps in the 2M spectrum check to see if you see a corresponding APRS transmission. Hopefully these offending radios will be replaced once the owners are notified.

Check out the video of the Alinco radio versus a Kenwood and Icom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRpkR9J2L5M