[Fourlanders] W4NH June VHF Contest Summary

Bob Lear w4zst at windstream.net
Thu Jun 15 21:15:13 EDT 2023

Operators for the contest were Brian NX9O, Kim WG8S, Bill KI4US, Jerry
W5TDY, Brad KM4QHI, Ron WW8RR, Kos N4SDK, and Bob W4ZST. We had
visitors: Paul Francis KG4HCX and his girlfriend Haocheng Liao KQ4HJD
from Athens, Bryan Dunn W3CP from Cumming and Ashton Locher KJ4AMA from
Cleveland.  We did meet at Roosters for lunch on Saturday and there were
five of us were there carrying on our tradition.  The visitors were here
for Saturday afternoon and dinner.

Brian stayed six nights, Bill stayed three, Kim two, Kos and his
grandson Evan stayed one night and Ron one night.   Brad and Jerry
commuted. Brian came early to help me and also to continue working on
problems on his still new 1296 portable EME setup. He and Brian spent
much time trying to solve problems with the new rotator and it's
software.  Bill and Brian did software updates and computer work on Friday.

Jerry's meals were great as usual.  Saturday night dinner was Pulled
Smoked Pork BBQ, Baked Beans, Pinto Beans, Cole Slaw and sausage
snacks.  He made a nice Egg, Sausage and Cheese casserole for Sunday
morning, Brats, beans and slaw for lunch Sunday and plenty of leftovers
to share for our dinner on Sunday evening. And leftovers to share to
take home on Monday.  Thanks again as usual Jerry for feeding us so fine.

A decent score but not our best.  I'm hoping we will stay in the top
ten.  Wait and see.  No prognostications this time.  The moon came up at
2 AM and Brian, Ron and I stayed up all night.  Ron was doing good on 6m
Meteor Scatter and Brian doing 1296 EME outside in his truck.  Brian's
10 Q's there gave us a good boost to the score.  I made two Q's on 432
EME and one on 144.  I was plagued with unexplainable computer problems
and spent way too much of that time trying to get the software to
cooperate.  Should have had more Q's on 2 and 432 but Murphy wouldn't
let me.  Other highlights were 6m Q's with Japan and Spain.  Just short
openings to those directions though.  Many Q's all around the country
including to pacific NW states.  We also worked our good friend Johnny
K7SYS in Idaho on 6m FT8.  I only made two 1296 terrestrial Q's this
time.  Need a preamp there I think.  I had 903 and 2304 stations working
and on the air too but never found anyone to work.The Beko 6m amp with
the replaced T/R relay worked just fine for the entire contest.  We did
make one Q each on 5 and 10 GHz with the two stations I have here.  I
tried to get two extra 2304 stations on but had problems and finally
gave up on those.

Field Day is coming up and hope everyone participates and enjoys that.
No plans yet for CQWWVHF in July or 222andUP in August contests.  We
will be here for the September contest as usual, Sept 9 & 10.

73, Bob W4ZST