[FRC] KQ2M 2000 CQWWCW SOABHP Unassisted Score

Robert Shohet kq2m@mags.net
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 16:56:49 -0800

                    CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 2000
      Call:      KQ2M
      Category:  Single Operator Unassisted
      Power:     High Power
      Band:      All Band
      Mode:      CW
      Country:   United States
      Zone:      5

      160       20       46     2.30      9      16
       80      312      881     2.82     17      63
       40      798     2311     2.90     27      95
       20      982     2830     2.88     37     118
       15     1030     3014     2.93     35     115
       10     1360     4005     2.94     34     116
     Totals   4502    13087     2.91    159     523  =>  8,925,334

Equipment Description:
FT1000MP & Titan (x2)

10 5/5/5/5  22'/45'/70'/100'  Top rotatable, other 3 fixed NE
15 5/5/5/5  30'/60'/90'/109'  Top rotatable, other 3 fixed NE
20 4/4/4    41'/85'/130'      Top rotatable, other 2 fixed NE
40 2L 40-cd @ 120' Fixed NE, 3L Wire Beam (NE) @ 50',
80 KQ2M design Inv L 4-square
160 Phased Inv L's

Beverages
260' S
260' W
2 Phased 260' NE

Club Affiliation: FRANKFORD RADIO CLUB

Comments:

What a contest!  With all the flares we had Thursday, Friday, Saturday &
"the big one" on Sunday, I kept waiting for cndx to get worse like CQWWSSB.
It never happened!  So much for strategy.

A great thing about great competition is that you can't win with equipment
failures, illness, operating mistakes, etc.  Like the Super Bowl, you have to
be "up" at all times and make all the right moves and even then there is
still the unexpected (ie "the flare") and more suspense.

This was the first CQWW contest ou tof the last five that there were no
major station failures during the contest.  Amazingly, I was even able to
come into the contest well-rested instead of the usual Friday exhaustion.
This combined to really let me see what I and my incomplete station could do
together.

Clearly all my work on the high bands has paid off.  Now, thanks to the scores
of K1AR & K5ZD, I can plainly see where the work still needs to be done, like
putting up a REAL 160 meter antenna and getting my 40-2cd to rotate.  I plan
to address the low bands this Summer and hopefully, next CQWWCW, I will see
the improvement.

The great thing about building a station is that you can look forward to
score improvement and new levels of "loudness" each year.  The great thing
about great competition is that it motivates you to improve your skills
each year which allows for new levels of accomplishment.

Given how hard I work at S & P with SO2R, it still boggles my mind that I
never heard a JA or KL7 on 80, or a VK on 40!  Much less how I could miss
P4 on 20 and my own club member V47KP on FIVE bands!

Congrats to 'AR, 'ZD and NT1N for making this the closest race in years.  I
hope all you guys will do it again next year!

Thanks to everyone for all the qso's and qsy's.  A special thanks to everyone
who helped me with antenna work in the two weeks prior to the contest!!!

73

Bob KQ2M

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               ROBERT L. SHOHET  KQ2M