[FRC] CQ Mag discount info

Barry Kutner w2up@mindspring.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 20:30:50 -0000

Hi all,

I received between 40 and 45 replies to interest in a discounted
rate for CQ Mag. Here is CQ's final answer:

The discounted one time rate of $27.95 per subscription must be
made all at once. The members full name and addresses must be
listed on a piece of paper with the club logo on it. Please enclos
payment with this list.
Please put it to my attn: Melissa Gilligan

Thank You.

Sincerely,
CQ Customer Service

When I questioned them about the amazingly cheap rate from Bob
Munhall (no longer available), this is what I got in reply:

THank you for your recent email. BoB Munhall was selling our
magazine without our authorization. The magazine should have
never been sold for $8.95 a year. The best we can offer is a one
time deal of $27.95 per member. The current price is $31.95.

Sincerely,
CQ Customer Service

How someone can sell a $30/year magazine for $9/year without the
publisher's authorization is beyond me, but I guess it doesn't
matter at this point.

In my opinion, the one-time discount of $4 (off $31.95) isn't worth
the time and effort to collect all the checks, prepare a list, etc. If
someone else is interested in pursuing it, feel free to do so. I'll be
dropping CQ when it expires. For me, for one or two issues a year
of contest results, it not worth $30+ (especially for an organization
with such piss-poor service, such as 6 months and counting
waiting for my 5BWAZ plaque).

Have a good weekend,
Barry
Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com