[FRC] K3WW Lightning hit

Charles Fulp k3ww@fast.net
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 01:20:53 -0000

I took a direct hit to the 2 meter node antenna this afternoon.
The top half is missing.  Looks like some climbing for W2GD or some other
brave soul.
DAMAGE LIST SO FAR.
UPS to Margie's computer
CABLE MODEM
DSL MODEM (you know how I like redundancy.
Hub/router dubious
NODE computer doesnt send anything to the monitor..hopefully PS and not all
the DRSI/MOTHERBOARD/
HARDDRIVE ...

3 TIC RINGS all read at the end of the scale...Im hoping the protective MOV
gadgets are shorted and
all 3 pots or rotor boxes did not fail in exactly the same mode.

the GOOD NEWS

the Tailtwister on the big tower is still working
the HAM 4 on the small tower is still working
The IC4KL/781 works, the 756PRO and 1000MPmk 5 work as does the ACOM2000A..
one of the auto switching filters for the transciever is showing several
bands..probably my diode matrix got
zapped.

all the shack computers execept the NODE computer are fine as best I can
tell.
The node radios all look OK, but have not had time to put on a mike and
check for output.

We will find out how good polyphaser is.

Lots of breakers tripped..probably one side of the line...We will be
checking appliances for weeks for glitches.

The office computers all still work.

I unfortunately have committments for the next few days and  cannot diagnose
any of the damage until perhaps
Thursday.

I will put out the call if I need anything along the way.

Could have been a lot worse...actually a lot less than I expected then I saw
the top of the 2 meter antenna burned
away.   When I get the hardware running and checked out I can use my lower 2
meter antenna to get the node
back on for the very locals, so the high antenna is a medium priority...the
guys farther out can draw straws
for the climb....sure hope the DRSI stuff survived.

73 Chas K3WW