[FRC] Found problem - RE: [frcc] FT-920 - help

N2TK n2tk@arrl.net
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 19:15:13 -0500

Found the problem. Turned out to be the anti-vox control. It is software
driven -  menu item 66. It has a range of 1-15. The default is 5, where it
was set. I had increased it in steps to 15 and decreased it to 3, but made
no difference. After I had sent the message for help, I played some more
with it. Once I decreased it to 2, it worked. Don't know why such a small
change made the difference, but no longer had the problem all weekend.

Tnx to everyone who responded. First time using the FT920. Worked well. Wish
some of the software controls were knobs instead though.

Tony
N2TK/NP2
-----Original Message-----
From: NORM FUSARO [mailto:w3iznorm@prodigy.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 7:10 PM
To: n2tk@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [frcc] FT-920 - help

Tony,
It sounds like the anti vox is giving you the trouble.  Did you try that?
Also try with & without the headphones plugged in.  On my MP, if I have the
Heil heasdset/boom mic plugged into the rig VOX is FB, but if I plug the
headphones into the SP-8 (it has filters) then the VOX is not as sensitive
and I have to turn the gain up and put the boom right to my lips.  It gets
soggy fast.  And real hams do use vox.
Norm
W3IZ