[Hooper] Hooper Connections

Hooper, Clay clayhooper@directvinternet.com
Fri, 06 Dec 2002 20:25:40 -0800

  Hello Everyone ~

I'd like to take the opportunity to invite everyone once again to take a
look around the Hooper Connections website and also to become a valued
contributor.  We're in hopes this site will become a hub for you in your
Hooper Genealogy and Research endeavors.  On the website you'll find:

1)  Family PICTURES - A place to post your family pictures.  Any and all
pictures are welcome.  We especially like older pictures, but we'll be
happy to post any you care to share.  There are already several
contributors with pictures up, why not send some of your own?  Here
you'll also find a picture of Wade Glasscock, Hal Hooper and yours
truly.  In addition to pictures submitted by others, I've also dedicated
a place for "unknown" Hooper pictures.  There are already 3 pages of
those up.

2)  DNA Projects - The home base for the two Hooper DNA Projects - Wade
Glasscock, Administrator.  We have about 25 participants in the male to
male line Y- Chromosome DNA Project where we are making historic
connections between as many Hooper families as possible.  It's been a
while since we've had any recent DNA results, but are expecting some new
results soon.  It's also been a while since we've had any new
participants sign on.  This project is open to all Hooper males - World
Wide - that have a direct male lineage back to whatever ancestor they're
stuck on or want to make confirmations by genetic connection to other
Hoopers.  Our original group of participants come mostly from the
Southern United States, but we'd love to have folks from all over the
world participate.  If you are a Hooper male, please consider
participation.  The mtDNA project is just getting started and we're
awaiting our first participant.  It's a bit more expensive than the
Y-DNA project, but may be practical for you, depending on your Family
Tree and what you're searching for.  The mtDNA Project traces the female
to female line back through the use of Mitochondrial DNA that is only
passed on from Mother to Daughter.  Consequently this particular project
will not necessarily help you make a Hooper Connection unless you're
descended from a Hooper female, then the paper trail would still be
needed to prove your Hooper female married so and so.  The practical
application for this testing is more geared to compare different female
based descendants.  We have two example volunteers already in the
process of having their mtDNA done, but the results of those are not
back yet, however you can look at their Participant Page to see how the
female line descendancy works.

3)  Family TREES - We're collecting Family Trees here to make your
searchings a bit easier.  These are being identified by both the
Ancestor and the Contributor, so if someone submits a Tree on your guy,
don't let that stop you from submitting your own.  We're not holding any
responsibility for the content, the submitter has that privilege and you
can email them for more information.  We'd like to add your Family Tree
as well, so send it on in.

4)  Family WEBSITES - This is the place to add a link to your own
website, as long as your site has some content devoted to Hooper
Genealogy, Research, History or Genetics.  We've got several folks
submitting their link and those sites have loads of valuable
information.  If you have a website of your own, let me know and we'll
get your link up with the rest.

5)  Original DOCUMENTS - We're posting digital images of original
documents here.  There's a couple of particular interest there already:
 The Congressional Medal of Honor Citation draft for Sgt. Joe Hooper in
1968 and the Indictment Records of the United States verses Michael
Hooper for Treason back in 1863.  This area may evolve to also include
Transcribed Documents, but at this time, it's limited to Original
Documents.  If you have any on any subject related to Hoopers, we'd love
to add copy to the site.

6)  Family HISTORIES - Here we're collecting Family Histories.  One of
the earlier works I did when I first started into Genealogy was to
Transcribe the book by Mrs. William Sumner Crosby "William Hooper -
1635".  That book is located online here.  Any Family Histories that you
would share are welcome to be added.  At this spot is also where we're
working on listing Locations - an endless project to list Hooper
Ancestors in whatever State and County they were known to have lived in.
 The County links will be added there and make it easier for people to
search for their kin.  Currently there are only a few that are started:
 TN, MD, IN and NC, but we'd love your help to add more.  On those
Location links you can also see each State's Flag and can click on it to
bring you to a larger picture of it and a description of it's meaning -
perfect for teaching smaller children, as well as educating ourselves.

7)  Research LINKS - This area houses quick links to several of the
places on the Web that folks use to continue their research.  If you
know of any that you'd like to see added here, please email me.

8)  Mailing Lists - Where you can obtain the information to join the 3
Hooper Mailing Lists.  You no longer need to type out all the
information to your Cousin that wants to join, just point them to the
Hooper Connections website and they can do it from here.

9)  Family CRESTS - Pictures of the 2 most recognized Hooper Family
Crests.  There are more that I've heard of, but have not received copies
of from anyone, so if you know of others and want to share those, please
send them on to me and I'll add them.

10)  Mission, Copyright, Co-Hosts - Here we share information on the
basics of what's going on with the establishment of the website.
 Boring, but necessary.

We're in hopes that this website will be a valuable place for you in
your genealogy, research, history and genetics.  It can only become
better if you're willing to share what you've got, so why not be valued
by those that you help by becoming a contributor?  If you have any ideas
that you think would make Hooper Connections better, we'd love to hear
from you.

Enjoy ~ Clay
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hooperconnections/