[Hooper] Hello Hooper Genealogists

Clay Hooper clayhooper at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 31 16:24:02 EST 2005

Hello All ~

I've been negligent with all my Hooper Genealogy business this year -
mostly due to getting a new job last February that keeps me so busy I'm
exhausted each night when I come home from work.  I apologize to anyone
that is waiting for a reply from me or for me to post something on the
Hooper Connections website.

Additionally, I've not taken a vacation in years and years, but just
spent the month of January in the Philippines.  Although not genealogy
related, thought many of you may be interested in my trip.  If so, a
portion is attached, if not, please just delete.  This will give you a
better understanding of why I'm still so behind on my correspondence.

~ Clay

**************

Hello All ~

I made it home from the Philippines late last night (Saturday) and am,
as expected, exhausted.  The trip was the most wonderful thing that has
ever happened to me and one I'll never forget!  I really wish I could've
stayed.  It put a lot of things into a new perspective for me.
The people there live in such poverty, such as you've seen on the "Save
Our Children" or "Christian Childrens Fund" TV advertisements - yet it's
not just here or there ~ it's everywhere.  And although they're poor,
the people are the friendliest, kindest and most generous people I've
ever seen.  The city people were a little cooler, but still friendly ~
but the country people were super!

The beauty of the country is something I've never seen before and the
water is terrific.  Being close to the equator, the water was warm
enough to get in and stay for as long as you wanted any time.  Went
snorkeling several times and the underwater life was so beautiful and
abundant.  Every color you could imagine is living below the surface!
Of course, you have to be careful, I smashed a knee against some coral
on the first snorkel and took the rest of the time for it to heal, but
it's okay now.  Also got a big cut on the bottom of my foot from having
to walk through a coral bed to catch our bunca (boat) - that cut is
still sore, and healing a bit slower.  When we went to Nogos Island, our
bunca dropped us about 30 feet from the island and we waded to shore
with all our food preparations for about 60 people.  We ate, played in
the surf, roamed the island, etc., then when it was time to leave we had
to go off the island on the other side of it because the water we'd
landed in had become shark infested.  So on the other side of the island
the edge was not beach front - it was covered in some sort of trees and
the trees grew up out of the water for a long long long way.  As they
come up, they're like hard spears from 2 inches on until they're tall as
trees and they grow thickly together on the coral bed, so it was like
walking through a field of spears with very sharp tops - very
dangerous.  As we walked from the island to the bunca, which was waiting
more than a half mile off island, I put a little 2 year old up on my
shoulders (other people were carrying all the food and prep items - even
huge jugs of water).  Was going along pretty well, then I tripped!  All
I could think of while going down was "Oh my, this kid and I are going
to be stabbed to death - there's no where to safely fall!"  When I
thought all was lost, about 3 other natives rushed to me and grabbed my
arm and pulled me back up while I held the boy.  Then I was told to put
him down as it was (obviously) too dangerous - so he waded out with the
rest of us until it was over his head before he could be picked up again
- which by that time we'd left the spear forest.  I was chest deep in
water before we reached the bunca!  It was only after we'd gotten on the
bunca before I learned we'd changed our route due to the sharks -
otherwise, I'd've been petrified!

The worst thing I ever saw in my life happened in Iloilo City.  We'd
just finished looking at something on a tour and had come to the van to
go to our next sightseeing spot.  There was a little boy about 1 years
old standing toward the back of our parked van.  He had on a shirt and
nothing else.  He was crying and crying.  I noticed he had something
coming out of his bottom and thought he was crying because he was
pooping, then I thought well, maybe he sat down on a stick.  Anyway, a
woman came over with a tissue and pulled this thing out of him and my
eyes about popped out of my head when she continued to pull and pull -
eventually extracting about a 14 inch parasite (worm)!!!  Once it was
out, the boy immediately stopped crying.  I thought I was going to throw
up!

The other eye opening thing I saw there, was while we were in Anininy,
out in the country, where we stayed for 5 days and nights and I had the
best best time.  Anyway, while there, I watched them (up close)
slaughter and disassemble live animals for our dinner and family reunion
celebration!  Watched 3 huge pigs, 3 little goats and 1 huge bull.  The
method for each type animal varies a little bit, but essentially they
all have the same end.  I had to wait a day before I could eat anything
but chicken, but eventually went right back to being a natural carnivore.

I bought an entire Gigabyte of flash card for pictures, which I thought
would be more than enough, but ran out after only the first 1/2 of our
trip.  Others still had film, so I'll try to get copies of some of their
shots later.  The second 1/2 of the trip is what I enjoyed the most
too!  Rats!  I started writing experiences at the beginning, but about
the time I ran out of film, I ran out of the drive to keep that up too -
maybe because things were happening so much faster and so much more to
do and was having so much more fun, that I didn't have any writing time
by then either.  Even so, I ran out of 4 ink pens during the first 1/2
of the trip.  I haven't figured out yet how to share the pictures I
took, but will try to show some of them eventually.

Everyone on the trip got sick at some point.  Mostly diarrhea problems.
I had it off and on, but not bad.  However, everyone got sick together
during the last 4 days of the trip in Boracay with some sort of sinus
and chest infection.  I gave out all the antibiotics I had just to keep
people from having to go to the hospital and told them all to ask for
Cipro when they get back home.  All 13 of us coughing and coughing on
the long flight home - probably spread that infection to the entire
plane.  Good thing I had some with me, or certainly we'd've seen the
inside of a hospital there!

I can't possibly describe all the close relationships I formed while I
was there, but I'll tell you about a couple.  One woman I met in Macpac
- close to Loon, Bohol, was my age.  Her husband died when she was 2
months pregnant with her youngest child.  She has 3 kids, ages, 13, 12 &
11.  She had very little English, but put a great deal of effort into
talking with me.  Her little girls, 13 and 11, were shy, but stayed
close to their Mom.  The boy, 12, was braver and sat beside me -
farthest from Mom while we visited.  I asked her since her husband was
dead how she supported her family and she said that she raises a pig,
then her son helps her take it to sell.  They get about 3,000 Philippine
Pesos ($60 US) for it.  Then they go home and raise another pig.  Her
biggest concern is to keep her children in school and try to figure a
way out to get them into college.  I asked her how long she can provide
for her family on that money and she said she can take care of them for
about 6 months.  I was so shocked and sad for her, I gave her 4,000 Php
to help her and she cried.  Her name is Molly, but pronounced like it
would be spelled Moe-ly.  Her son, Ray John, (who clung to me) begged me
not to forget them and to promise to come back.  It was heartbreaking.

Another one I want to tell you about was a fellow named Ariel.  He's
almost 19 and almost in his last year of college.  He will graduate in
March of 2006 with a BS degree in Marine Engineering.  They all
(regardless of age) go to school from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. 6 days a week!
Can you imagine?!  Yikes!  Also, I asked around various places and the
general working hours are 12 hours 6 days a week also.  The average
money for that shift is between 130 and 240 Php (about $2.50 -5.00 US).
That is - if you're lucky enough to have a paying job!  Anyway, back to
Ariel, he was initially very protective of me when we met in Iloilo City
before we went to the family barrio Lisub-A in Anininy - so I started
teasing him that he was my body guard - which he and everyone else took
on to be very serious.  He told me that he was my alali (body guard).
So if ever I asked "Saan alali ka ako" (Where is my body guard)?  He
would say "Dito ka" (I am here).  No matter where we were - in the city
or the country - he kept an eye out for me or would come running if I
asked anyone where he was.  Well, you can only imagine through a week of
this treatment we grew closer and changed from calling him my alali to
my kaiebegan (friend).  He would say "You're my best kaiebegan!"  When
we departed company, he cried and cried and cried.  He lives in a
boarding room in Iloilo City for school and comes back to Lisub-A on
Friday night, returning to Iloilo on Sunday.  The trip is about 3 hours
each way.  This way he gets to see his Mother and 3 siblings each week.
His Father is a Seaman and gone for many many months at a time.  All the
college kids were allowed to skip school during the 5 days we were in
Lisub so they could be with us (something pretty out of the ordinary for
them).  Ariel pitched right in when it was time to slaughter the
animals.  Apparently all boys have to help with that once they're big
enough to do any little thing.  The girls can watch if they want to, but
their job is to cook up the meat once the animal is disassembled.  The
boarding rooms that folks rent to live in (I visited 3 different ones in
3 different towns) are comprised of a main hut that is divided into
about 4 rooms or so.  Each room is "the" living quarters.  There is no
cooking or toiletry.  The rooms are about 8 ft by 10 ft at best.  They
usually have only a platform for a bed - no mattress.  There is never
one only to a room.  Usually 2 to 4 in a room.  Ariel shares his with 3
girls.  A fellow I met in Iloilo City shares his with his female cousin,
and a fellow I met in Boracay shares his with 2 other guys.  Anyway, all
who share the room - also share the platform bed.  The only thing else
in the room is usually a place to hang a few items of clothes and a
statue of Mary or some other saint.  The going rate for one of these
rooms is about 1,200 to 2,400 Php a month. Now figure out that price
with the wage of 130 - 240 Php a day and see how much you have left over
to help take care of your family!!  I'll miss Ariel a lot and if there
were a way to bring him to America - I would!

In short - Bohol was a peaceful, relaxing island.  Lots to see and tour,
but plenty of time to relax.  Cebu was overpriced and over tourismized.
Lots to see and do if you left the resort, but no one really enjoyed it
as much as everywhere else we went.  Antique (where Lisub-A, Aninny,
Antique, is located) was my most favorite place.  Out in the country
with country people.  Lots to see and do and actually live more like a
native.  Boracay had the prettiest white beaches, but was also a bit
over tourism oriented.

Forgot to tell you we went to the Sinulog festivities when in Cebu -
that was the most fun thing we did there.  It's a big big big parade
with floats, dancers, theatrics, tribal bands, etc. that goes for 12
hours through the streets (noon to midnight).  The celebration is
centered on Magellan coming to Cebu Island and when the Chief's wife
became a Christian he presented her with a Santo Nino (statue of baby
Jesus) - so they celebrate the Santo Nino's arrival every year.
Well, I'm exhausted and still sick with a terrible sinus and lung
infection, so will close this colossal letter now.  Will share pictures
later.  After 23 days of wearing chinnellas (flip flops) - these shoes
I've had to put on are killing my feet!  Haha!  Came home to over 900
waiting emails - so if you reply to this message ... there may be a
delay in reply from me - sry.

Love to all ~ Clay