[Hooper] Thomas and James Hooper

Deanna Baumgardner deannabaumgardner at me.com
Fri Jan 13 16:18:08 PST 2012

Notes and Queries is a long-running quarterly scholarly journal that publishes short articles related to "English language and literature, lexicography, history, and scholarlyantiquarianism".[1] Its emphasis is on "the factual rather than the speculative".[1] The journal has a long history, having been established in 1849 in London;[2] it is now published by Oxford University Press.
The journal was originally subtitled "a medium of inter-communication for literary men, artists, antiquaries, genealogists, etc".[2] It is now subtitled "For readers and writers, collectors and librarians".[1] Its motto was once "When found, make a note of",[2] the catchphrase of a character in Dickens' Dombey and Son.
April 5, '56
"Thomas and James Hooper- can anyone of your correspondents furnish any information respecting the families of Thomas and James Hooper, mentioned in the list of those who obtained the royal pardon (in the Illustration of Macaulay 2nd S. I. 228)  where they came from, whither they went and if any of  their descendants are in existence? " Clericus

Could not resist; since I was currently working on Thomas and James Hooper.   Deanna