[kids] Kids' Day comments

jim funk jfunk@adams.net
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 19:10:08 -0600 (CST)

Hi gang,
        I've compiled the comments from all of the postings so far in order
to make a copy for the kids at KB9PVN.  It looks like the event was a
smashing success, both in terms of activity and enthusiasm.
        What is the feeling concerning operation on a second band?  About
2000Z, I suggested to our group that we try 40 meters in order to find "some
different stations".  No argument.  A quick tune of the band revealed only
"old guys".  Fifteen or twenty unanswered CQ's later, it was pointedly
mentioned to me that we had been working stations on 20 meters with no
problem, so QSY....  I remember only one west coast station mentioning
working anyone on 40.  Did activity pick up there after we quit at 2200Z?
It's a shame to miss the close-in stuff; but I guess it's no big deal so
long as everyone is busy.  From here, California is more "exotic" than
Missouri (sorry, Rebecca).
        There was virtually no problem here with negative reactions from
other band occupants.  Maybe we weren't loud enough (100 watts and a low
dipole) to antagonize anyone?  One OM sorta cut us off when asked for his
favorite color ("I'm not into that!"), but it didn't seem to faze the kids.
We spent quite a bit of time in pileups, which allowed me to talk about
power levels, antenna heights, importance of timing and clear phonetics, and
dumb luck.  We didn't have to worry about third party restrictions, since
the only non-USA that called us was a VE2 ("Quebec?  WOW!").
        The local club is starting a licensing class Thursday, and two of
the six have arranged to attend. Haven't asked the others point-blank yet.
        Look for us in NAQP SSB and in the School Club Roundup.

        73, Jim N9JF/KB9PVN

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/kidsfaq.html
Submissions:              kids@contesting.com