[kids] No Kids Day Cover for QST

David Rich kg0us@swbell.net
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:45:09 -0500

--------------231B7B7F523CE116E49F2465

Dear Larry N6TR,

I talked to Steve Ford the managing editor of QST on the telephone
today.  We discussed the alleged interest of a Kids Day photo being on
the cover of a future QST issue for advertisement and public relations
for the upcoming Kids Day Contest.  He basically stated that this is an
unfortunate rumor and that there would be no interest in doing a cover
for this event.

Later I received the following e-mail from Dave Sumner that I have
forwarded for those interested.

It does not surprise me that this would be the response.  It is very
seldom that they put anything other than huge antenna arrays or middle
aged, overweight, balding men, such as myself, on the cover.  I would
fall out of my chair if they actually put four to six kids operating on
their cover.  I have been to Dayton and had the chance to interact with
several of the ARRL people and others who allegedly represent youth in
amateur radio.  The way I measure there sincerity is not what they say
and do with the adults but how they interact with the young people on a
one-on-one basis. I have found that for the most part they do not show
any real interest in the young person.  The one exception is Rick
McCusker the new editor of WorldRadio magazine.  Give him a try. I
believe he really promotes youth in amateur radio.

73s and Good Luck!
Dave KG0US

--------------231B7B7F523CE116E49F2465