[kids] Kid's Day Log, Comments, Jimmy and Dmitriy, WA3FET

James K. Breakall jkb1@psu.edu
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 18:22:33 -0500

Hello All,

This was a wonderful event and Jimmy, 7, and his friend, Dmitriy,
13, (Dmitriy is our neighbor and is originally from Russia), had
a fantastic time.  Jimmy, our son, is quite enthusiastic with
ham radio and has been since the age of 4.  I hope he can get
his license this coming year with Mommy too.

He has been a world traveler to many contest stations as well, some
of which are ON4UN, twice, NP4A, many times, K3LR, and of course the
contest station that we have built up here in State College using the
call K3CR (known to Jimmy as the "site"), and to our other station in
Puerto Rico where we use Angel's call, WP3R, (known to Jimmy as "Breakall
Mountain").  He has seen it all and should have some contest spirit in
his blood!!!

Jimmy and Dmitry used the station at home for this event which was
a Yaesu FT1000MP, a solid state commercial amp, and a Hy-Gain Telex
LP1009 12 el log periodic up 40 feet.  They both had a ball and did 99% of
all talking from here.

Jimmy's exchange said he was in State College, Penn State, PA and his
color was two, Black and Gold.  Dmitriy said he was in Port Matilda,
Stormstown, PA.  All was correct in their own way.

We look forward to being on in the next one in June.

73  Jim  WA3FET  (Jimmy's Daddy)

PS: The most amazing contact was with KL7AM, Bob, in Fairbanks, AK,
who was 90 years young and was first licensed in 1916 at the age of
8.  He was born in 1908.  He talked to Jimmy and Dmitry for a long
time and this is incredible when you think of the age differences!!!

Here is the log for their operation:

Time UTC	Call		Name		Age	QTH			Color

1938		WH6L		Ed			Rio Hondo, TX
1945		W0KU		Spenser	8	Denver			Blue
1952		KI0NR		Jimmy		13	Boulder		Blue Green
2000		KF7MD		Sam		6	Conifer, CO		Purple
2005		KC0BVP		Danio		12	Montrose, CO		Red
2013		KH7FV		Terry		45	Hilo, Hawaii		Blue
2019		KE6NVV		Elizabeth	11	Montana		Red
2025		W7QAN		Bud			Idaho			Blue
2032		WD0DRM		Gene		51	Greeley, CO
2041		KB2FMD		Paul			Buffalo, NY
2042		W7ON		Adam		4	Ariz			Gray
2047		KL7AH		Bob		58	Fairbanks, AK		Blue
2100		KF0RQ		Tim		7	Greeley, CO		Red
2112		KL7AM		Bob	    ***90***	Fairbanks, AK
2140		K7IZ		David		7	Phoenix, AZ		Purple
				Hannah
2147		N5UFV		Dwayne			Del Rio, TX
2151		N1WRE/5	Jim		65	TX			Green
2200		N0DIY		Evan		6	Colo			Purple
2210		W7OAD		Katie		16	Salt Lake, Utah	Purple
2215		N7YET		Laura		10	Billings, MT		Any Color
2220		N7LR		Rebecca	6.5
2225		KD7CKV		Kailey		8	Ariz
2226		KC7FWM		Natalie	11	Tempe, AZ		Blue

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/kidsfaq.html
Submissions:              kids@contesting.com